The joys of extracting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now hate extracting even more, in fact, i now loath the bloody job.
the extractor motor game up working at three this morning, second time its happened, the controller motherboard I suspect has blown (Again !!!!!!!)
I’m praying Fritz will be in work early tomorrow, manning the phone.

I now hate extracting even more, in fact, i now loath the bloody job.
the extractor motor game up working at three this morning, second time its happened, the controller motherboard I suspect has blown (Again !!!!!!!)
I’m praying Fritz will be in work early tomorrow, manning the phone.
In a previous times I used a company CET in Watford for printed circuit board repairs. They specialize in boiler panels but from time to time Geoff who used to own the firm would kindly look at other electronic items. Almost always he would upgrade failed components so the replacements were more reliable. If you suffer repeat failures it might be worth giving them a call.
CET LTD - Reconditioned Central Heating Parts & Repair

In a previous times I used a company CET in Watford for printed circuit board repairs. They specialize in boiler panels but from time to time Geoff who used to own the firm would kindly look at other electronic items. Almost always he would upgrade failed components so the replacements were more reliable. If you suffer repeat failures it might be worth giving them a call.
CET LTD - Reconditioned Central Heating Parts & Repair
Many thanks
I will give them a call

Anyone have experience of the konigan forty frame or swing cage ?, depending on timing we are considering one of these from Ian as an option.
It is daft relying on one machine, especially as we extract at least four times a year.

Many thanks
I will give them a call

Anyone have experience of the konigan forty frame or swing cage ?, depending on timing we are considering one of these from Ian as an option.
It is daft relying on one machine, especially as we extract at least four times a year.
I have the 12 frame radial but I believe all the Konigin machines use the same controller. Although I find the machine brilliant as far as the construction is concerned Thornes have replaced the controller 4 times in the last 3 years (4 year warrenty). I have now come to the conclusion my problem is a dodgy supply in the farm building my honey room is in. If you go for the Konigin ensure the supply is well protected by an anti spike system to prevent controller damage.

I have the 12 frame radial but I believe all the Konigin machines use the same controller. Although I find the machine brilliant as far as the construction is concerned Thornes have replaced the controller 4 times in the last 3 years (4 year warrenty). I have now come to the conclusion my problem is a dodgy supply in the farm building my honey room is in. If you go for the Konigin ensure the supply is well protected by an anti spike system to prevent controller damage.
I don't know your electricity distribution cabling system but maybe an SPD (surge protection device) fitted to the consumer unit would be helpful?

Is the Konigin machine a DC motor, or an AC with a variable frequency drive?
The motor is 415ac so the electrician from thrones told me.
The motor is an Italian job Italian made 3 phase . I’ve a feeling an artificial 3 phase supply is part of the control box . A frequency changer is often used in speed control. The high pitched whine is the clue .

The motor is an Italian job Italian made 3 phase . I’ve a feeling an artificial 3 phase supply is part of the control box . A frequency changer is often used in speed control. The high pitched whine is the clue .
Artificial 3 phase.

No, the whine is from the inverter: much higher frequency than the drive.

Last edited:
If you go for the Konigin ensure the supply is well protected by an anti spike system to prevent controller damage.
Is that as simple as a new fuse box or one of those computer extension leads?

Is that as simple as a new fuse box or one of those computer extension leads?
I've had it going through two different plugs/leads and I still had a failure so still not sure what my problem is!

I've had it going through two different plugs/leads and I still had a failure so still not sure what my problem is!
Having now looked at one, I am pretty sure it is under-rated for either the starting load, or temperature or both. It would be interesting to fault find a broken one to identify the problem.

Latest posts

Back