Cleaning up extracted wax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Sadly I'm not quite done yet as I forgot I have a box of frames in another apiary to extract the wax from, but today I gathered together all of the extracted wax that I've largely been ignoring for quite a few years now...

extracted-wax-01.jpg

By the time I'm done I'd guess there'll probably be about 30kg. It pains me to think how much honey that represents. Perhaps not far short of a quarter of a tonne? Maybe around £4,000 worth at today's prices? Some of it is cappings or out of brood frames which I'm replacing over time so there's little choice about getting the bees to make wax for those, but some is from melted down super frames of OSR honey that set hard because I failed to be organised enough to extract it in time, and therefore my own fault :(

At the moment my plan is to turn most of it into foundation/starter strips, but I'm thinking the convenient thing to do would be to clean it up and turn it into half kilo bars or something like that to make storage a bit less of a jumble and then if I want it for something else it should be easy to organise. It has been coarsely filtered as it came out of the extractor, but probably still contains a bit of water, plenty of pollen and small bits of junk from the hives. A few are a bit mouldy on the outside because, ahem, someone left the cakes out in the rain.

What would the panel suggest is the best way forward at this point?

James

If you will honestly use it then keep it but if you don't believe you ever will then swap it for foundation. I can't use all my wax so I swap mine. I would have to buy the foundation anyway so it save me a few pennies!

Melt them in big container and put it to settle in a bic bucket. It depends, how big containers you have. So you get cleaner wax.

No idea to make them to half kilo bars.
The foundation maker handle the wax in big clumps.

Sadly I'm not quite done yet as I forgot I have a box of frames in another apiary to extract the wax from, but today I gathered together all of the extracted wax that I've largely been ignoring for quite a few years now...

extracted-wax-01.jpg

By the time I'm done I'd guess there'll probably be about 30kg. It pains me to think how much honey that represents. Perhaps not far short of a quarter of a tonne? Maybe around £4,000 worth at today's prices? Some of it is cappings or out of brood frames which I'm replacing over time so there's little choice about getting the bees to make wax for those, but some is from melted down super frames of OSR honey that set hard because I failed to be organised enough to extract it in time, and therefore my own fault :(

At the moment my plan is to turn most of it into foundation/starter strips, but I'm thinking the convenient thing to do would be to clean it up and turn it into half kilo bars or something like that to make storage a bit less of a jumble and then if I want it for something else it should be easy to organise. It has been coarsely filtered as it came out of the extractor, but probably still contains a bit of water, plenty of pollen and small bits of junk from the hives. A few are a bit mouldy on the outside because, ahem, someone left the cakes out in the rain.

What would the panel suggest is the best way forward at this point?

James
Get a foundation mould and make your own. At least you know that the wax isn't full of chemicals . If you want I can send you a silicone mould I make in exchange for some wax - I am in Somerset too. PM me for details

Take it to Maisemore in its current state and trade in for foundation. Do it soon before they put their prices up to cover for the increased energy costs in melting wax.
I'm burning more old brood frames now rather than putting them through a steam wax melter.......

Back