slugs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 + 1 Observation Hive
so having been hampered by slugs last year.
this is what ive come up with zap zap zap
slugs i declare war on you
touched it with my tongue and it works well the wire is half an inch off the stand and wide enough so bees don't touch them (i hope)
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

a very simple way of controlling slugs is to run a line of hydrated lime around the hive stands, and you could reinforce the control by a line of sharp sand. Slugs will not go onto the lime as it burns their foot, and sharp sand will graze the foot. I have used this in the past to protect strawberries, no need now as our soil is very sharp sand.

Mike

Yeh ... I've been plagued with slugs in my hives over winter (mainly under the roofs or just below the clear crown boards away from the bees) ... I've been turfing them out when I see them. About three weeks ago I put copper tape 50mm wide around all the legs of my hive stands and that seems to have sorted the problem as I have not seen any slugs in the hives since putting it in place.

a very simple way of controlling slugs is to run a line of hydrated lime around the hive stands, and you could reinforce the control by a line of sharp sand. Slugs will not go onto the lime as it burns their foot, and sharp sand will graze the foot. I have used this in the past to protect strawberries, no need now as our soil is very sharp sand.

Mike

you should not use hydrated lime, any birds picking up dead bees will burn their feet on it & could get it in their eyes, to say nothing of eating anything with lime on it!
apparently garden lime is safer, though is it worth it for the very odd slug if any that gets in a hive?

you should not use hydrated lime, any birds picking up dead bees will burn their feet on it & could get it in their eyes, to say nothing of eating anything with lime on it!
apparently garden lime is safer, though is it worth it for the very odd slug if any that gets in a hive?

No problem using hydrated lime where birds are, as it is used in chicken runs for red mite, lice, and other parasites control. It is put in the litter on perches, spread on the outside runs and even painted onto the houses. Many blogs on this subject, suggest a google search.

Talking of slugs......I'm off to the veg patch to water the newly planted potato beds with Nemaslug.

Greetings, I am with mike t on this one, we used Hydrated lime in the calf houses and chicken sheds,

Don't kill Leopard slugs as they eat other slugs and don't eat growing plants.

We use Diatematious powder in the chicken houses and dust it into their feathers too...to kill red mite etc I have even mixed it with water and painted it on perches. I wonder if it works for slugs?

Latest posts

Back