Skeps - hand made in the UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freethorpe bees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Two - one fiesty, one lovely. ;0)
Does anyone know if and where I can get one?::bee-smillie

contact the natural beekeeping trust - they run courses.

I doubt HRP would suit the NBKT recommended PPE of floaty white lace dress!!!!

Oh I don't know .... Puts me in mind of Morris Dancing...!

You ain't read Terry Pratchett on the matter of Morris men... obviously.

And that from a Scot.

LOL

PH

Does anyone know if and where I can get one?::bee-smillie

YES... before your thread gets kidnapped by the nylon nerds...bee-smillie

I bought one on FleaBuy for less than a fiver last year from a nice man based on the Isle of Wight.
Well made, light, big enough for a megga swarm... not been used in anger yet tho...
not as is a pacifist like me would ever consider doing anything in anger... but then my Gran always said..
" Don't get angry, get even!!":leaving:

Thanks for the info - I'll give them a try. Got these visions of bravely turning up somewhere to collect a swarm, big audience, skep in hand, everything going to plan and looking all heroic (well heroinic!). Dream on, more likely to go t*ts up knowing me!bee-smillie

I made my own after going on a course run by Mick Male who you will see at places like the Devon County Show. Making skeps is very theraputic and it makes a great basket for keeping kindling in next to the woodburner. I have also used it for collecting swarms but these days I have a purpose made swarm box which is much easier to use.

That sounds like Vectis Apiculture,not sure if he is still trading..
http://www.vectis-apiculture.co.uk/page8.html

I and a couple of members of our LBA ordered from them last year, none of us could fault the product and the delivery was very prompt. I bought a medium sized one which is obviously not available any more but they are great value.

ok who twigged about me being heidi at the weekends, that was sopposed to be our secret!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and before you ask yes i was a morris danced as a young boy, i had to give it up due to girls and alcohol and secondly it was getting to bloody with finger and knuckle damages from the sticks and swords, yep i danced for Illmington morris men in the mid to late seventies, and before anyone kicks off with the jokes, yes it was great fun,( dad was very into the folk scene in those days so we never had much choice either)

Oh, I forgot to add that the vectis ones have a slot part way up to allow the bees access if used traditionally, it also means you can put it on your head and pretend to be Ned Kelly :D

Oh, I forgot to add that the vectis ones have a slot part way up to allow the bees access if used traditionally, it also means you can put it on your head and pretend to be Ned Kelly :D

Like to see that with a swarm inside :willy_nilly:

Here's one taken last year......and believe me when I say that the skep wasn't really big enough for this one. I don't think I'd ever seen a swarm as big as this before.

Latest posts

Back