Simon the beekeeper closing down sale

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to get rid of it I was too late to get just that size and colour. PM me to relocate it!

it's in the classifieds, not 100% sure on the selling rules here (i'm on another forum where all sales need to be done through the classifieds section). But, yes, it will save the STBK crew from the added admin of sorting my refund etc.

My STB order arrived today. Took about two and a half weeks. Eight kilos of seed potatoes also arrived. Best hope I don't get them mixed up...

James

I tried ordering hive equipment today twice. Each time i got to checkout the price mysteriously jumped 20% .
Then a message popped up saying they cant currently deliver to my address..
Ah well

I ordered some wax foundation, paid via PayPal, then after I validated the payment via my banking app the STBK site said the wax was not available! I had to wait 5 hours for my bank to cancel the pending payment.
It was a pain but ok in the end. I suppose the system is breaking down under the pressure.

Well ...I guess I got lucky. I received everything I ordered (all bargains) the various orders I placed arrived about a week after I placed them ... I even got enough brass eyelets for wiring frames to last me the rest of my beekeeping days FREE ... I saw they were listed as a free item, tacked 15 packs onto another order - never thinking they would arrive ... and got the lot ! 20 sheets of correx, 15 sheets of varroa mesh (at 50p a sheet could not resist though it may take a few years to use it all) - a lovely new smoker and enough bee suits of various shapes and sizes to start a beekeeping school (which I'm not doing), The late night bargains just kept coming along.

In total ? ... i haven't added it up but the postage cost nearly as much as the items ! Once in a lifetime opportunity ... sad to see Simon go though - I hope he managed to clear everything out.

Still a few clothing bargains on his web site.

Last edited:
It's more than just Brexit ... even Simon himself said that there were many factors that led to his decision to close the business down. There may have been some repercussions from no longer being able to trade seamlessly with Europe but the reality is that more global influences must be having an effect, energy costs, shipping difficulties, product supply uncertainties, a flat lined economy and the ability to be able to give it up and retire to the life he is going to enjoy - who in their right mind would carry on ? He's not alone - another player in the beekeeping supply business is trying to sell his business.

And - just for the record - I voted to stay in the EU.

I saw another beekeeping supplier shutting up shop this week too :(

And my final order from STB arrived on Thursday -- lots of sheets of varroa mesh.

James

It's more than just Brexit ... even Simon himself said that there were many factors that led to his decision to close the business down. There may have been some repercussions from no longer being able to trade seamlessly with Europe but the reality is that more global influences must be having an effect, energy costs, shipping difficulties, product supply uncertainties, a flat lined economy and the ability to be able to give it up and retire to the life he is going to enjoy - who in their right mind would carry on ? He's not alone - another player in the beekeeping supply business is trying to sell his business.

And - just for the record - I voted to stay in the EU.

I'm seeing a recovery from that trading situation, but for the benefit of EU countries. I attempted to buy a bulky item from a UK supplier; I used to find this sort of thing much cheaper in the EU, but prices are converging now and the UK, although still expensive, looks more favourable than it did However, my "remote" "IV" postcode meant that I faced a surcharge on an otherwise £15 delivery of £50+. Returning to the EU supplier, whose prices are still about 5% lower for the same item, I was able to get delivery from Germany for £20 by DHL and then Parcelforce. The cost was below the level where import duties apply and delivery was seamless. I wonder if there is anyone in Germany so delighted at how easily and cheaply they got similar goods delivered from the UK? ;)

I ordered some wax foundation, paid via PayPal, then after I validated the payment via my banking app the STBK site said the wax was not available! I had to wait 5 hours for my bank to cancel the pending payment.
It was a pain but ok in the end. I suppose the system is breaking down under the pressure.
the website struggled at first, I had an email off them a few days ago saying that they had now purchased extra bandwidth and things have got a lot easier (unfortunately, too late for some of the 'extras' I'd added to my bargain shopping spree.)

Ar that’s a shame all the best to him. was going to buy 1 of the defender suits this year just looked 20 pound what a bargain for whoever got one out of stock obviously now

My decade of beekeeping has been greatly influenced by Simon. Buzz workwear - amazing value for the price paid, quality in all other aspects and the videos. I may not always have had the same approach, but a challenge to my own practices sometimes convincing me to change. It's to be hoped that his principles, qualities and influence will continue, in time, from Moss Nook. I wish Simon & co well and am grateful.

Latest posts

Back