Silly basic question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi guys got a silly question, sorry if it's stupid etc.
So we will be keeping 2 hives at my work a golf course. I would like to eventually have my own hive maybe in garden or some where else.
How could I make my own bees to use in my own hive else where???
Could I keep a nuke at work and when bees are strong enough at work move frames into nuke?
Any suggestions would be great

OK thanks will have a look at that link.
If I managed to to get a nuc up and running etc could they survive over winter?

If you made the nuc up reasonably early in the season you would be taking a full hive into next winter.

I'm not going to do this but could you do this with a swarm?

If you made the nuc up reasonably early in the season you would be taking a full hive into next winter.

You could comfortably make up a nuc in October and expect them to survive!!......however you may well have a chance to take a split during the season and if you buy in a laying queen then get them all set up before the beginning of sept, that should give you an idea for time frame.If you want you could also stick a bait hive up for some free bees. Don’t hang around though any time from the end of this month can be productive. Ian

We was thinking about putting empty hives out at end of this month with swarm wipes in but would that work or does the bait hive ideally need to be up high like a nuc in a tree. It's all ideas that we have spoken about but haven't actually decided on what to do

We was thinking about putting empty hives out at end of this month with swarm wipes in but would that work or does the bait hive ideally need to be up high like a nuc in a tree. It's all ideas that we have spoken about but haven't actually decided on what to do

Probablyt best to join your local beekeeping association, look out for a basica beekeeping course and sign up for it and buy yourself a copy of Haynes Manual of Beekeeping and read that (two or three times) before you do ANYTHING with live bees.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bee-Manual...2&sprefix=Haynes+manual+of+bee,aps,168&sr=8-1

I have already done a theory course and got the Haynes manual got my practical at end of April, I also in middle of joining local bee club.
We have notes from theroy but waiting for them to be online, that's why I was asking stupid questions as I can't remember what they said as there was so much info

Agree with angry and pargyle
Do you have neighbours?
If you do make sure your golf course doesn’t mind you moving your garden bees there should the need arise.

Swarms will enter bait hives of many different sizes and locations you can use what you have or improve the odds, you don’t go fishing with a blunt hook or bucket of dead worms! I find a single brood box in solid floor with no more then a 2” entrance in a sunny spot. Old comb is great and cut some old frames back so you have a 2”-3” strip of comb, strips of foundation waxed in place will do if you have no comb. The idea being you still maintain a cavity in the box and not filling with sheets of foundation. You dont need to look far for locations shed/garage roof or rachet strap to a tree 10ft up. Swarm lures improve your odds but little beats some old comb, if you have both use them. As above swarms will enter many locations but the above gives you the best odds. And yes get them up for end of the month there won’t be many about but with some good weather there’s always some early honey bound colonies about weather dependant... Ian

Yep I will get some old comb off the beekeeper that also keeps bees on the golf course.
I haven't got bees at home. What I was saying is we will have 2 hives at work but I would like to own my own hive at some point else where like a garden or somewhere else I can find so what I wanted to do is produce some bees to take else where instead of me having to buy some

I would bite the bullet Jake and buy a nuc with a gentle Queen..the thing with swarms you do not have a clue what you are going to get..you may get nice gentle bees or bees from hell that could put you of for life..once you have your own gentle bees you will gain some hands on experience and after a year or two you might have gained enough experience and confidence to start trying to catch some swarms..personally though you could not pay me to take a swarm from anyone..

I would bite the bullet Jake and buy a nuc with a gentle Queen..the thing with swarms you do not have a clue what you are going to get..you may get nice gentle bees or bees from hell that could put you of for life..once you have your own gentle bees you will gain some hands on experience and after a year or two you might have gained enough experience and confidence to start trying to catch some swarms..personally though you could not pay me to take a swarm from anyone..
:winner1st:
And how often does the experienced beekeeper get a would be beekeeper beginner asking for a "free swarm"!

Chons da

Latest posts

Back