To do list/diary/planner thingy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafyddcoch

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi all. An odd question perhaps but here goes: Does anyone know of a diary planner, wall-chart or similar for beginner bee-keepers. Obviously, not everything can be diarised and things will pop-up when inspecting, but something that gives a basic seasonal 'to-do-list' would be a great start for me to ensure help my son keeps on top of hive maintenance.

Diolch/Thanks

Do you use record cards? Which can be obtained from E H Thorne. These will act as a historical record as well as what to plan for the coming weeks.
I just use a notebook

Thanks all for the above. I don't think I've ever been on such a quick and helpful forum!

The reason I wanted a flow chart was so I could both educate and remind myself and my son re the seasonal jobs (varroa treatment in April & Sept. etc). Keeping a diary is a very good idea and certainly work for gardening the same land for years.

We're looking at a 2-day bee course at Bangor uni that looks suitable if it is accessible. That'll help and is well worth the cost in my mind.

educate and remind myself and my son re the seasonal jobs (varroa treatment in April & Sept. etc).
Varroa treatment is seasonal but not by the calendar.

Monitor varroa levels throughout the season, e.g using sugar rolling, and treat as appropriate.

If your main flow is in July, a treatment beginning in August when supers are coming off and winters bees are starting to be raised is ideal. If your main crop is heather you'll have to delay till after that harvest.

A December treatment with oxalic acid should mop up any late varroa and see you right through the spring. (April treatments can be complicated by supers going on so hopefully avoided.)

Ahh. Thanks for that. Thankfully, the guy who is supplying the bees is a close friends and very willing to help my son so I can make an idiot of my self with him sometimes and give beekeepers here a rest.

Latest posts

Back