Should I feed now

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbisme

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi all

I know there will be a few saying here we go a newbee asking about feeding but As a newbee I am concerned they have no stores now.

On inspection today I have a good 6 frames of brood in all stages with bees covering them, eggs and queen also seen, 1 frame 3/4 drawn and two empty frames, my concern is no stores at all or none I could see, WBC hive with a new nuc hived mid July,

Should I start to winter feed now or give it another couple of weeks before any concern, obviously my big worry is seeing them through the winter, I have fondant on hand to put in over winter if needed.

Thanks in advance,

I'd suggest feeding strong syrup straight away for the following reasons:

-You should pretty much always feed a colony that has no stores.
-You want to get the remaining brood frames drawn sooner rather than later, before the weather gets colder.
-If this is your only colony, it makes sense to be generous rather than skimping on winter feed.

if they have little stores then emergency feed now,a couple of litres will do.keep an eye on their stores for now and you can winter feed the latter part of september

Yeh it's my only colony, thanks for the advice I will feed and keep an eye on then

As a matter of course I feed 2:1 syrup after removing supers in mid- August, I use gallon contact feeders and they usually take it down in a couple of days, I then re-fill and leave it on for 3-4 days before applying apiguard, they will generally take most of the second gallon.
As a precaution I also always stick on a block of fondant over Christmas, so its there if they need it.

That's great thanks, as it was my first year and have taken no honey I was concerned since July they had built up no stores, feed is in now I will see how it goes, thanks again

, I have fondant on hand to put in over winter if needed.

Good statement - if needed that is what beekeeping is about - don't feed 'as a matter of course' but if needed I'm surprised that your colony has no stores, but it does happen, if they are that short of food you would be better giving them a few pints of 1:1 rather than strong syrup as it's feeding and wax making you're looking at not storing at this point. Feed them a little (not just pump it into them) have a quick peek to see how the wax making is going and if they are now storing feed then maybe in a few weeks start winter feeding proper.If you feed properly they may not need any feeding over winter, just get used to judging the weight of the hive by hefting now - when it's light then at the beginning of winter when they have loads of stores. If they feel a bit light after Christmas then think about putting some fondant on.

nectar has dried up here and i've noticed whole brood frames of stores gradually being tucked into so definitely keep an eye on things, hopefully not too long till the ivy comes into full flower.

JBM thanks for the reply taken on board,

Roola ivy looking like it will come into flower over the next two weeks here so will be keeping an eye on supplies,

Wow what a change the last 24 hrs have been gave them feed via a rapid feeder and it's like they have had a new lease of life, entrance busier than I have seen with a constant queue in and out of the reduced entrance, loads of pollen coming in too, looks a happy hive,
Will inspect again in two days to see if they have any stores

Wow what a change the last 24 hrs have been gave them feed via a rapid feeder and it's like they have had a new lease of life, entrance busier than I have seen with a constant queue in and out of the reduced entrance, loads of pollen coming in too, looks a happy hive,
Will inspect again in two days to see if they have any stores

Great to read that post. Thanks for sharing.

Hi. sbisme.
Good news on the feeding front.
Sometimes if they are close to starvation the contact feeder is the best option as suggested by earlier posts
With the small round rapid feeder the plastic cone gets jammed with desperate bees and most of them cant get to the food and the ones already there get drowned

Hi The Drone Ranger

Thanks for that they sure did get busy in the feeder and I have since inspected and they have started to build up supplies, I have stopped feeding for now as the Ivy is just about to come into flower and will start to weigh and assess if further feeding is required(which I suspect they will) to see them through winter.

nectar has dried up here and i've noticed whole brood frames of stores gradually being tucked into so definitely keep an eye on things, hopefully not too long till the ivy comes into full flower.

I'm waiting for this lot but it's a few weeks away yet.

Back