First inspection?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with a full super of stores left, there should have been no need to feed them fondant in January, they won't be running out of room as plenty of bees will be dying from now on. The only worry you have is if they get stores bound.

I've been thinking about not feeding now and looking at the weather. They've eaten the fondant I put on in February, and if I put anymore on and it leaves no room for egg laying then they will potentially swarm earlier. From hefting, which I'm still rubbish at as only my 3rd winter, I think I'm going to risk it and just keep a eye on them.

hefting, which I'm still rubbish at
What makes it difficult is that you think you can't do it and don't trust your judgement; it's not precise, but instinctive; have faith and keep doing it.

At our training apiary we used to set up three BBs, floors and roofs, One box held a brick, the next four bricks, the next a lot more, to reflect a colony about to starve, one to keep an eye on, and the last to be almost too heavy to lift and fine for winter.

Last edited:
At our training apiary we used to set up three BBs, floors and roofs, One box held a brick, the next four bricks, the next a lot more, to reflect a colony about to starve, one to keep an eye on, and the last to be almost too heavy to lift and fine for winter.
That’s neat.

I've been thinking about not feeding now and looking at the weather. They've eaten the fondant I put on in February, and if I put anymore on and it leaves no room for egg laying then they will potentially swarm earlier. From hefting, which I'm still rubbish at as only my 3rd winter, I think I'm going to risk it and just keep a eye on them.
Good idea, they should have ample stores to see them through until Dandelion time, which isn't far off as the fields are starting to turn yellow here. I checked a couple of mine today in glorious sunshine, I'll be removing stores frames come inspection time, outer frames still fully capped and untouched and these colonies were not fed.

Good idea, they should have ample stores to see them through until Dandelion time, which isn't far off as the fields are starting to turn yellow here. I checked a couple of mine today in glorious sunshine, I'll be removing stores frames come inspection time, outer frames still fully capped and untouched and these colonies were not fed.
I noticed a couple of dandelions starting to flower here yesterday 😉

What makes it difficult is that you think you can't do it and don't trust your judgement; it's not precise, but instinctive; have faith and keep doing it.

Thank you for the great advice Eric, I'll definitely try this.

Looking at my hives at midday today in the sunshine it looks like someone threw a switch and everything burst into life. The front of the hives were covered in bees and clouds orienting in front, together with streams of returning foragers laden with yellow pollen. A few weeks later and I'd be taking swarm control steps. There certainly seem to have been some serious emerging of young bees going on inside

Attachments

• 20240324_123934.mp4
    4.1 MB

Latest posts

Back