shed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Has anybody any experience of any of the numerous discount shed suppliers online? I am after a cheap and cheerful 5 x 3 apex for the allotment. Google brings up plenty, but a personal recommendation is always welcomed...

Hi,

I purchased a 18X10 from Timberlux Sheds, Staffs about a year ago. Overall it's very good quality although the roof seemed a little flimsy for such a large area, not a real problem as I'd always intended to modify.

Best Wishes,
roland

18x10? That`s not a shed , that`s a bungalow :)

I`ve just ordered a shed from buyshedsdirect.co.uk but it`s not due untill next week. My bee stuff has taken over my workshop and I need to have a major sort out.

Darren.

I used Oakenclough buildings who will deliver to your area I think.

As they are fairly local I did visit them to see the quality.

It's fine and they delivered fairly quickly.

Dimensions in metres presumably? I bought a cheap shed plan CD of epay. Lots of cheap options on it, just needs a litttle practical input.

Regards, RAB

Why not build a pallet shed

There is an interesting article about building sheds from recycled pallets - at very low cost - here:

http://www.self-sufficient.co.uk/Build-a-Pallet-Shed.htm

palletshed.jpg

A Shed or outhouse is vital for anyone considering a self-sufficient lifestyle. Tools need a safe, dry environment, and it is also essential to have a cool dark location to over-winter crops such as apples.

Sheds and other garden buldings can be purchased relatively cheaply (e.g. from just £99 for a 6 x 4 foot model) to many thousands of pounds for larger models, however most sheds on sale at DIY stores and garden centres are not up to the job. They tend to be poorly constructed from weak materials. Besides which, if you want to be self-sufficient, you should really be building your own shed - ideally from recycled materials!

Experience of other people who have successfully made sheds from pallets can be found here:

http://summerville-novascotia.com/PalletShed/

Coop-i.jpg

There is a member on the forum that has posted recently about setting up a bee shed using ex hire porta-cabins (or was it ex shipping containers?) They where quite large but very good value even delivered.

Other thing is large packing crates! We often get bits of equipment in very nicely constructed crates that are perfect 6 x8 or 8 x 10 crates, just add a nice apex roof and bingo.

There is a member on the forum that has posted recently about setting up a bee shed using ex hire porta-cabins (or was it ex shipping containers?) They where quite large but very good value even delivered.

Other thing is large packing crates! We often get bits of equipment in very nicely constructed crates that are perfect 6 x8 or 8 x 10 crates, just add a nice apex roof and bingo.

On that thought, I also have a 13X7 container made by Expander-store, it's basically a sectional steel building in the guise of a shipping container (complete with lifting eyes), you can also incorporate windows to turn them into proper workshop/offices and they have additional 'linking units' which allow you to join them together. Quite pricey but very good long-term value. Maybe too big for what marcros is looking for (think their smallest is 7X7) but worth mentioning.

Best Wishes,
roland

Last edited:
thinly disguised spam - the sites are just "affiliate feed" sites that earn the website owner commission..........

Focus or Wickes will do you a perfectly serviceable 8x6 shed for around £200 - at that price it'll need a little "beefing up" - good solid base, squirt silicone or similar between panels at corners when erecting, screw and glue roofing battens or similar edgewise under "roof beams" to stop "sag" and accept the fact you'll need to replace the roof felt within a year with something beefier....
I've got a 4 year old Focus 8x6 shed that looks good, is waterproof, does everything I want, and I just did the above "extras"........(and a coat of boiled linseed and beeswax once every 12 months at a cost of under a fiver a time....)

Latest posts

Back