Newbie. Need information about a swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Based in Mid Staffordshire I have just started the fascinating hobby as I approach full retirement. I have spent the winter reading and online learning.
I am about to start a 6 week practical beginner’s course but have been fortunate enough to have some practical experience checking through local hives under the supervision of their owner.
We were given a swarm that formed and settled on the 24th April. It has been installed in a 6 frame poly nuc and is being fed.
On inspection earlier today there are plenty of stores but no signs of brood at any stage and no queen. Are we best to wait to see if a mated queen returns, do we have to think of buying a queen by post to introduce or add a frame of brood in all stages. Seems a shame to let it just die out after all there hard work to dat

Based in Mid Staffordshire I have just started the fascinating hobby as I approach full retirement. I have spent the winter reading and online learning.
I am about to start a 6 week practical beginner’s course but have been fortunate enough to have some practical experience checking through local hives under the supervision of their owner.
We were given a swarm that formed and settled on the 24th April. It has been installed in a 6 frame poly nuc and is being fed.
On inspection earlier today there are plenty of stores but no signs of brood at any stage and no queen. Are we best to wait to see if a mated queen returns, do we have to think of buying a queen by post to introduce or add a frame of brood in all stages. Seems a shame to let it just die out after all there hard work to dat

Definitely stop feeding then.

Is there any room for the queen to lay eggs - not all full of syrup?

Are there lots of bees?

What’s the weather been like since the swarm was caught?
Oh and could you put your location in your profile. Thanks

Never thought of that. Too late to buy a mated queen to add?

If you are in the UK, you have had at least some mating weather in the last couple of weeks. Don't worry. Do nothing and check again in a week, would be my approach. If you buy a queen there's at least a 50% chance they will end up killing her for one of a number of reasons. If this swarm fails, not the end of the world - it was free/cheap I assume - there'll be more along soon.

Latest posts

Back