Looking for a shed...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience with underfloor spaces - especially near water - is they attract mice and rats.
:iagree: that's why the new Brynmair Bee stores is going to sit on a sturdy concrete base. Got a chicken shed not far away which is just sat on a frame with concrete blocks at the corners and already this winter the bas rats have chewed a four inch hole through the floor

Hmm . My experience with underfloor spaces - especially near water - is they attract mice and rats. Rats eat through wood, polythene and eat wax. And fondant, And foul everything. (Experience)
I would always wire the underneath to prevent all ingress for anything bigger than a beetle.
I tend to build a brick wall base on concrete footings. Stops anything getting underneath. Most expensive but of the build usually!

Thus far I haven't had any rat issues with my sheds, I have seen the odd rat or two in the 20 odd years I have lived at the current property buy in the main the local fox population appear to keep them at bay.

IMG_6775.JPG

Here's my rather posh bee shed. Photo from when it was first built about 8 years ago when we were renovating the garden - it started life as a work from home cabin (way before WFH was a thing). When I retired the OH turned it into a gym and then we built another bigger gym on the other side of the garden when she qualified as a PT.
So it's now my craft cabin/workshop and bee shed. Although the way things are going, the bee stuff is expanding so eventually I think everything else will go (except the bench and tools needed for bee stuff).

View attachment 29702

Here's my rather posh bee shed. Photo from when it was first built about 8 years ago when we were renovating the garden - it started life as a work from home cabin (way before WFH was a thing). When I retired the OH turned it into a gym and then we built another bigger gym on the other side of the garden when she qualified as a PT.
So it's now my craft cabin/workshop and bee shed. Although the way things are going, the bee stuff is expanding so eventually I think everything else will go (except the bench and tools needed for bee stuff).
Rather posh?

You mean "Very" Posh.
Far too good for a bee shed. :p

My bee shed in the garden started off as a 12x6' between the fence and a small elder tree which SWMBO said must be left as a refuge for birds. 2 years later I added an 8x6' extension to form an L with the tree in the crook of the L. I'm now looking for a discrete method of killing the tree to enable me to remove it and complete the last section of my garden take over!!! 🤣

My bee shed in the garden started off as a 12x6' between the fence and a small elder tree which SWMBO said must be left as a refuge for birds. 2 years later I added an 8x6' extension to form an L with the tree in the crook of the L. I'm now looking for a discrete method of killing the tree to enable me to remove it and complete the last section of my garden take over!!! 🤣
Your comment made me think of Blofeld, the bad guy on James Bond who has the cat. Garden domination rather than world domination!

When I moved into Brynmair I had five brick or stone built sheds - two were the old outside place of ease, but I had to demolish one coal shed to make room for a driveway. When we married SWMBO said 'too many sheds' I was building a new one not long after our honeymoon, and since then, another two have turned up 😁

Copper nails are reputed to be effective but a few discrete holes bored into the trunk and filled with stump killer might be worth trying?

It would take me about 10 mins with a chain saw but 12 months in the dog house!

I've been to Coventry and it's not somewhere I'm keen on revisiting! 😂
I must say that my stay at Ryton on Dunsmore Police Training school was not one I look back at with any pleasure

Last edited:
I must say that my stay at Ryton on Dinsmore Police Training school was not one I look back at with any pleasure
If you spelt it right they might have given you a better time!!!! I spent all my younger years in Rugby not far from there. 🤢

If you spelt it right they might have given you a better time!
However you spell it, it's a sh!thole 😁
all the squealing at mealtimes used to put me off my food
We used to be given a choice at breakfast
Bacon or egg
Not quite as bad as Devizes driving school though, although at least the instructors used to takes us to the amblimans HQ for lunch!

However you spell it, it's a sh!thole 😁
all the squealing at mealtimes used to put me off my food
We used to be given a choice at breakfast
Bacon or egg
Not quite as bad as Devizes driving school though, although at least the instructors used to takes us to the amblimans HQ for lunch!
I did Devizes but for a traffic management course. It was a good two weeks as they put us up in a posh hotel! Those were the days! Did driving schools in Hampshire and Kent.

I did Devizes but for a traffic management course. It was a good two weeks as they put us up in a posh hotel
They used to put us up in hotels for the surveillance driving courses at Devizes but this was a bespoke four wheel drive road driving and trailer towing course so they decided to save cash by putting us up at the school. Basic would be an understatement.
When we did our off road and skidpan driving with the Defence driving school at RAF Leckonfield we were put up in the Beverley Arms Hotel near the minster - very nice...............

Latest posts

Back