Time to go Electric… 12 frame extractor recommends.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs
That’s it…. Time to get rid of the manual extractor and go electric…
I think 12 frame is a good balance of storage size and efficiency for me, run about 6-8 hives, and no time for more!
I like the look of the Konigan apart from all of the reports of sharp edges, max budget £1200
Any other recommendations on others to look at.
Many thanks

That’s it…. Time to get rid of the manual extractor and go electric…
I think 12 frame is a good balance of storage size and efficiency for me, run about 6-8 hives, and no time for more!
I like the look of the Konigan apart from all of the reports of sharp edges, max budget £1200
Any other recommendations on others to look at.
Many thanks
Mine doesn’t have sharp edges and if you do get the 12 frame get the swing cage as an extra mine came with the swing cage .
I love mine starting to think it’s to small so over the winter we are getting a 20 frame or another 12 frame.
So I will be selling mine which was bought in 2021

Ditto - no sharp edges and no issues
Built like a errm -tank
Mine has the retro fit tangential screens.
That would just get under the budget in today's money .I'm glad I got mine when I did :eek:
It doesn't hurt to overbuy with a view to future proofing but you can always sell it on for a bit of hassle.
Old Castle have a konigin sale on btw

Last edited:
Mine doesn’t have sharp edges and if you do get the 12 frame get the swing cage as an extra mine came with the swing cage .
I love mine starting to think it’s to small so over the winter we are getting a 20 frame or another 12 frame.
So I will be selling mine which was bought in 2021
If you buy a second 12 you can have one spinning whilst you're loading and unloading the other, and giving you 24 frame capacity overall. Also means if one fails you aren't stuck.

I like the look of the Konigan apart from all of the reports of sharp edges,
You mean one
Nobody I know that have Konigin extractors (and I know more than a few) have ever reported sharp edges, I've seen and handled loads as well - when they first turned up at the tradex, and later with my many chats with Ian Roberts of Old Castle farm when we bump into each other at various shows.

I've only seen 1 report of sharp edges (above).
Mine is fine.
I suspect Enrico's had somehow missed the de-burring step during manufacture.
I got the "dual fuel" electric+manual option.
I got the 9 frame but 12 sounds better & more options for symmetrical loading when you can't fill it.

If you buy a second 12 you can have one spinning whilst you're loading and unloading the other, and giving you 24 frame capacity overall. Also means if one fails you aren't stuck.
Well I have space in my honey room I have mine on a strong pallet screwed to it I should put some casters or clamps on the floor maybe some quick release type , one issue is you need to tip it up on one side to get the last dregs of honey out and there is always a little bit left .

All the same I like mine it’s still got the wrapping on although I just took the white film of the lid I can now see the frames😂

thanks for the info so far. feel better about the Konigan after your info... looking at dimensions am I missing something? 12 frame & 20 fram are same size? just thinking about storage & Door issue!

thanks for the info so far. feel better about the Konigan after your info... looking at dimensions am I missing something? 12 frame & 20 fram are same size? just thinking about storage & Door issue!
Let me know how you get on if you get one. Horses for courses

I have a 9 frame extractor and although I like it a 12 frame would balance better and save juggling around when the frames are out of kilter.

I have the 12 frame Konigin. It's a brilliant piece of kit and as people say - built like a tank and mine has no really sharp edges. I have had problems with the controller (I was told I was their champion returner of controllers😂) but I think this must be down to something in the motor but all the time Thornes carry on replacing them it's fine.

Enrico, are We nearby, I am TA5, just wondering if I might have a look at your konigan?

Latest posts

Back