Looking for a shed...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A word of caution - 7mm thick wood will allow water to penetrate through - it does here anyway with a little wind behind it!!

I built one of these a couple of months ago:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274956579410
Depends what you want it for ... I just needed more storage - there's no windows in it and the headroom is a bit limited but pound for pound goood value. Seemed a bit flimsy but once it was up and all fastened together it's pretty sturdy, It does need two people to put it up ... a lot I did on my own but there are some bits that you do need another person. If you are any good at Lego then you will love the instructions - pictures and numbers - it took me a day to figure them out but once you get the hang of it not too bad. Needs flooring as well - comes with floor bearers but no floor.

Mind you ... just noticed - it's gone up in price dramatically - I only paid £629 - not such good value at £200 more !
Can’t imagine why you need so much storage space......

Can’t imagine why you need so much storage space......
This is not all for the bees ... I have other hobbies. Mind you ... I have a double garage, a 20' x 20 engineering workshop and two other garden sheds and I STILL don't have enough space.

Last edited:
This is not all for the bees ... I have other hobbies. Mind you ... I have a double garage, as 20' x 20 engineering workshop and two other garden sheds and I STILL don't have enough space.
I know the feeling. I have huge barn that has a small indoor swimming pool, storage for all my lawnmowers etc, two wood stores, two workshops. A separate bee work room a separate bee extraction room. A chicken shed for other stuff, the barn has a loft room. I also have a large annex and the garden room in the previous photo! I could still do with more🤣

I know the feeling. I have huge barn that has a small indoor swimming pool, storage for all my lawnmowers etc, two wood stores, two workshops. A separate bee work room a separate bee extraction room. A chicken shed for other stuff, the barn has a loft room. I also have a large annex and the garden room in the previous photo! I could still do with more🤣
Looks like enrico’s sheds bigger than yours Phillip 😉

This is not all for the bees ... I have other hobbies. Mind you ... I have a double garage, a 20' x 20 engineering workshop and two other garden sheds and I STILL don't have enough space.

This is the law of sheds, storage and outbuildings in action: you will always need one more than you have!

I find having no shed makes me sell/throw away/not buy junk.

(Btw, our treble garage with loft is full)

This could lead down a whole philosophical path about whether having the space to do things leads to more or different creativity, activities or pastimes....
But back on topic, I think what this thread is showing me is that I need to define the requirements a little more and see where that gets me. There are some really useful ideas coming in though - thanks for all of them.

How tall are you, Phil? Only storage and you have to quack every time you enter or leave, and can only access the edges by leaning over?

How tall are you, Phil? Only storage and you have to quack every time you enter or leave, and can only access the edges by leaning over?
I'm 5'11 and yes I do have to duck to get on through the door and the headroom under the metal roof joists is just under 6' so with a floor in there I have to watch my head ... I've developed a muscle reflex and I wear a hat but it's just for storage so not that bad . . If I built another I would set it on a course of concrete blocks and replace the sliding doors with hinged ones as the extra 30cm would make a difference...

I'm 5'11 and yes I do have to duck to get on through the door and the headroom under the metal roof joists is just under 6' so with a floor in there I have to watch my head ... I've developed a muscle reflex and I wear a hat but it's just for storage so not that bad . . If I built another I would set it on a course of concrete blocks and replace the sliding doors with hinged ones as the extra 30cm would make a difference...
Whenwe bought this house there was one door with a headheight just lower than my head. Don't worry, I said, I will remember! My head now has so many ridges and bumps where I lied to myself I sometimes want to take a sledge hammer to it.......and the door!

We have a 6'x4' shed for our ex batts bedroom. The door is about 5'6" high so in theory I only have to remember to duck when I clean them out. Every time I take chunk out of my bald pate!

But do not live in a house so no spare bedrooms for more stuff? :D

Cheap timber sheds are flimsy and actually not overly cheap either.
I build all mine from tanalised 2 x 2 or 3 x 2, I insect proof with breathable roof membrane and clad in barn boards/tanalised 200mm x 38mm boards. Earlier this year locally I bought 5.4m lengths for about £15 from a merchants but prices have gone up again I see.
Roof membrane I bought off ebay £40 for a 50m x 1m per roll. Roof boards I use 4 x1 tanalised and found it cheaper then sheet boards, felt dosen't last and is easy to tear off get caught by the wind so EDPM rubber is used. One can buy offcuts at reasonable cost vs the cost of a complete one piece sheet.

I prefer shallow pitched gable roofs purely just for water run off, that said my other 6m x 2.5m garden building I constructed was a flat roof with the desired pitch for water run off and I used sheet boards and GRP for the roof finish again much preferred over felt.

Over spec on the materials and pay a little more to self build and one will be rewarded with a better constructed finished item, consideration esp should be given to the ground setting to prevent wet rot and rising damp.
All my shed/buildings are timber including floors and bases, all raised above ground on lintels or concrete blocks with a DPC between timber and blocks.
Pay attention to the exterior and use a good breathable water based paint to treat the outside against rain and remember every 5 years or so to recoat and they will last.

The worst shed by far I have bought is a 3m x 3m metal grain affect thing, damp needs a lot of insect proofing and not very strong.

In my suburban garden I give consideration to wild life with my raised off the ground builds and in the recent past have found they provide very dry places for hedgehogs to form a natural home underneath and bumble bees can still access old mice nests or voids under ground to nest in.

In my suburban garden I give consideration to wild life with my raised off the ground builds and in the recent past have found they provide very dry places for hedgehogs to form a natural home underneath and bumble bees can still access old mice nests or voids under ground to nest in.

Hmm . My experience with underfloor spaces - especially near water - is they attract mice and rats. Rats eat through wood, polythene and eat wax. And fondant, And foul everything. (Experience)
I would always wire the underneath to prevent all ingress for anything bigger than a beetle.

Back