Time to go Electric… 12 frame extractor recommends.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enrico, are We nearby, I am TA5, just wondering if I might have a look at your konigan?
Sorry, but I returned mine. Glad to show you my thornes 9 frame plastic which I can keep super clean😆

I have a 12 frame Konigin and its perfect. BUT... It had the black digital controller (there is black and white) which failed just as I started the first spin of my spring crop...However, after speaking to the supplier, its a known and very common fault, they sent a new white controller the very next day which is a very simple analogue affair that gives me far more confidence. Other than that, it has very good build build quality and attention to detail. I would definitely buy again but ask for one with the white controller.

If you’re a bit handy in the workshop it’s quite easy to fabricate your own extractor for a fraction of the price of a new one.
I brought a reversible motor from Thornes, they were around £350 at the time, and their 9 frame radial cage which were about £100.
(I expect they are a bit more now?)

Take a good food grade dustbin and tap, and a small bush in the bottom of the bin.
Fabricated a 3 legged stand which houses the motor and bin and away you go!

The extractor has performed faultlessly for over 10 seasons now,
Back then, it cost less than £500.
If I could change one thing, it would be the height between the bottom of the bin and the bottom of the cage, you can extract 2 1/2 supers then it needs emptying otherwise the frames start to drag in the extracted honey.

I did actually think about making some to sell back when I made it, but time never seems on your side….

I can’t remember now, but a decent stainless electric extractor at the time was certainly still way out of my budget!
Which is the very reason I made one!
So what I spent back then was still way cheaper than buying a new manufactured one, I also made it without the sharp edges 😆

I have a 12 frame Konigin and its perfect. BUT... It had the black digital controller (there is black and white) which failed just as I started the first spin of my spring crop...However, after speaking to the supplier, its a known and very common fault, they sent a new white controller the very next day which is a very simple analogue affair that gives me far more confidence. Other than that, it has very good build build quality and attention to detail. I would definitely buy again but ask for one with the white controller.
Interesting Kev,
Who was your supplier?

Interesting Kev,
Who was your supplier?

So I am the sort of person who "commissions" things like 12-frame Konigin extractors. I was VERY amused that the "white controller" is a box containing.... well you get ONE guess. (Hint: the white box is bigger than the black controller). I haven't looked at what they've done simplifying the controls but presumably it protects the controller somehow.

The capacity is small so as suggested elsewhere I raised the basket (there is masses of room) and fitted/sealed a 2" uPVC pipe over the lower bearing so as not to immerse it. That gives me a lot of capacity, which I like for various reasons, primarily that I am drawing off honey not wax. That keeps my filters clear and I can gather the wax later.

The groove is a bore and mine needed INITIAL cleaning. I am thinking of putting sealant in but that needs doing PROPERLY so the whole thing is "under consideration" at the moment. But overall it has been a good purchase: the build quality is fantastic and no sharp edges.

I was in a similar position and bit the bullet and went for the 20, mainly because it’s easier to not use all the capacity you have than not have all the capacity you want. Now that the number of hives has increased, I’m pleased I did.

Only downsides are that the controller isn’t the most intuitive and it‘d be nice if the base sloped towards the valve but neither of those are a big deal.

Latest posts

Back