Looking for a shed...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roche

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone have recommendations for a shed? I've looked a little and found one -
12 x 8 (3.57m x 2.48m) Mercia Overlap Shed here

but really apart from the size, the construction looks so flimsy that it sort of feels that it is not worth buying. I am looking for the easy option of not building from scratch, but if that is what has to happen then I will. All suggestions welcome...

Does anyone have recommendations for a shed? I've looked a little and found one -

but really apart from the size, the construction looks so flimsy that it sort of feels that it is not worth buying. I am looking for the easy option of not building from scratch, but if that is what has to happen then I will. All suggestions welcome...
They are so easy to build. So so easy. Just a load of 4 X 2 and some cladding. Flat roof with pond liner covering. Build a simple frame using screws. I understand that you don't want to but ,.....

Here is one I built in a few days using 3x3 fence posts. Size was dictated by length of fence posts so no cutting. I agree the roof was a challenging! Roofing and rails from b and q.
I built it when we couldn't entertain inside because of COVID!

IMG_20211227_163332.jpg

Any cladding suggestions?
Depends what quality you want . Any timber merchant wil sell you good quality tongue and groove cut to size. On the shed in the picture I used cheap b and q internal cladding which I treated!

Here is one I built in a few days using 3x3 fence posts. Size was dictated by length of fence posts so no cutting. I agree the roof was a challenging! Roofing and rails from b and q.

View attachment 29649
Nice job - looks good.

Nice job - looks good.
Thanks. The other thing to do is buy a really cheap flat pack shed and strengthen it as needed. Bought one for £199 in b and q sale five years ago, strengthened all the walls and floor and changed the roof and it is still going strong as a chicken shed!

Thanks. The other thing to do is buy a really cheap flat pack shed and strengthen it as needed. Bought one for £199 in b and q sale five years ago, strengthened all the walls and floor and changed the roof and it is still going strong as a chicken shed!
Really cheap 8x12 is about £740, so at that point I start to think about building from scratch. The open question is the cladding. I suppose you could even go for three ply, then use some battens to break the surface up a little.

Really cheap 8x12 is about £740, so at that point I start to think about building from scratch. The open question is the cladding. I suppose you could even go for three ply, then use some battens to break the surface up a little.
The trouble is all prices are sky high at the moment. Timber is twice the price it was 18 months ago! A neighbour has just used tin sheets for an office room. He has let them go rusty and they look brilliant! Just screwed to the frame. He has insulated inside.

Yes. Cladding (especially timber) is the most costly element really. Almost feels like using flattened kerosene tins might be a good alternative...

Yes. Cladding (especially timber) is the most costly element really. Almost feels like using flattened kerosene tins might be a good alternative...
We have just had an extension done in composite cladding. It is probably cheaper than wood at the moment!

They are so easy to build. So so easy. Just a load of 4 X 2 and some cladding. Flat roof with pond liner covering. Build a simple frame using screws. I understand that you don't want to but ,.....

My youngest bought a cheap galvanised metal shed. This took a day and a half to assemble due to poor photocopy instructions and hundreds of small nuts and bolts. I thought the metal was flimsy but when put together and screwed down to a flagstone base its surprisingly rigid. Its in a sheltered corner as I doubt it would stand a serious gale but it provides a dry storage space for garden junk.

My local Sawyer is doing larch featheredge for £13.50 per m² at the moment.

Build it yourself and get the shed you want. You'll be happier in the long run!

2 years ago I bought a 6' x6' garden shed from Shedrite after looking at several other shed manufacturers and decide they offered a good quality/price point for me .
https://www.shedritesheds.co.uk/I subsequently bought an 8' x8' summerhouse from the same company - for my bee equipment and other garden stuff.
I assembled both sheds myself. I have not been disappointed.
Note; The fascia is missing because I didnt like their design so much and made my own from scrap scaffolding boards.
IMG_20210520_070406984_HDR.jpg

Trouble with overlap is that the boards will warp and gaps will appear between them. Shiplap is not full tongue groove but dosent warp anything like as much. I agree those sheds look flimsy.

Last edited:
2 years ago I bought a 6' x6' garden shed from Shedrite after looking at several other shed manufacturers and decide they offered a good quality/price point for me .
https://www.shedritesheds.co.uk/I subsequently bought an 8' x8' summerhouse from the same company - for my bee equipment and other garden stuff.
I assembled both sheds myself. I have not been disappointed.
Note; The fascia is missing because I didnt like their design so much and made my own from scrap scaffolding boards.
View attachment 29652
I think we bought a big one from them a few years ago for the new association stores, up side was all the timber was tanalised although the floor left a lot to be desired as the floor bearers were two foot centre bearers not 18" which meant it was like walking around in a bouncy castle. there were a few gaps in the cladding boards but for the price you couldn't fault it.

I built one of these a couple of months ago:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274956579410
Depends what you want it for ... I just needed more storage - there's no windows in it and the headroom is a bit limited but pound for pound goood value. Seemed a bit flimsy but once it was up and all fastened together it's pretty sturdy, It does need two people to put it up ... a lot I did on my own but there are some bits that you do need another person. If you are any good at Lego then you will love the instructions - pictures and numbers - it took me a day to figure them out but once you get the hang of it not too bad. Needs flooring as well - comes with floor bearers but no floor.

Mind you ... just noticed - it's gone up in price dramatically - I only paid £629 - not such good value at £200 more !

Last edited:
Roche, are you sure that shed is not actually, really, truthfully, imperial but an honest metric 3.6m x 2.5m?

Please note that 8 feet is only 2.44m, so you might be disappointed if trying to erect it in a ‘tight’ space of only just 8 feet.

View attachment 29649
But will it float? :whistle:

Latest posts

Back