Sex alleles

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogwednesday

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Having studied Module 7 Selection and Breeding of Honey Bees made me ask this question to which I have yet to find an answer.

The text books say there are up to 19 different sex alleles, I read a paper (can't remember where, sorry) stating that there may be 50 or more sex alleles. Are certain alleles associated with certain sub species? Are there any alleles that are Unique to say Am mellifera, lingustica or carnica?

Has any work been done in this area?

There are quite much that level research. There are researches,

- what is origin of Argentina's Africanized bee hybrids;
- what is origin of Russian bee of USA (Caucasian).
- They have found out that there are Africanized bee (Scutellata) in USA, which are directly imported from Africa to USA and which have come via Brasilia to Mexico and then over the border.
- how bee races have come into Europe .... How much they have African bee race genes.
- are there any difference on some area between nursed bees and "feral bees". Mostly they have same genes.

I have met quite much that kind of information. Only you should invent a keyword, how to find them from google. "Gene map" of something works often.

Last edited:
Thank you Finman, I was rather hoping for something on sex alleles specifically.

It's just the mention of sex that got him galvanised into action' Has a degree in it you know - as well as DIY (or is that DIY sex?)
It's all them dark lonely evenings on the internet.

The European honey bee species has about 18-20 different alleles of the sex gene. An allele is just a variation of a gene. All the sex alleles do basically the same thing, but the genetic coding is a little different in each one. Compare this to having 18 different recipes for chocolate cake—the end products are similar but the instructions for getting there vary.

Having studied Module 7 Selection and Breeding of Honey Bees made me ask this question to which I have yet to find an answer.

The text books say there are up to 19 different sex alleles, I read a paper (can't remember where, sorry) stating that there may be 50 or more sex alleles. Are certain alleles associated with certain sub species? Are there any alleles that are Unique to say Am mellifera, lingustica or carnica?

Has any work been done in this area?

i have read the paper as well, so you are not day dreaming, but alas cannot trace it

it was if i remember right about sex alles in bees of east Africa and it increased the number of alles dramatically from the previously known 20 ish to 50 and above

Yes it is all about them alleles being heterozygous or homozygous... the homozygous ones do not lead to normal sex I understand.
I did a degree in it!

Nos da

I know only 2 sexes in bees: Female and drone. There are no variations or alleles in these things.

But Cape Bee worker can lay normal dibloid eggs and it can concure for example a Scutellata colony. But what can you do with that knowledge?

Mitocondria genes and its alleles has something to do with sex. Its DNA is inherited only via mother, because drone's mitocondria are cutted off in fertilization.
Orgin of bee strain can be trackted via mitocondria gene alleles.
But it depends how you are going to use you knowledge about sex allele thing.

Thanks Muswell Metro. At least one person is on the same wavelength as me. Perhaps someone really knowledgeable is out there and will be able to answer my question. 😊

I have studied genetics and biology in university but I do not understand why you are asking that .

Sex alleles... It makes no difference. There is only two sexes. Result is allways same even if alleles are 10000

. Sex alleles... It makes no difference. There is only two sexes. Result is allways same even if alleles are 10000

Well, maybe three, eh Finman?

A diploid female, and a haploid male, and a diploid male. Right? And, it's all about alleles.

It doesn't take 1000. It only takes 2. A bee with two different alleles is a female. A bee with one allele is a male. But what if a bee has two alleles that are identical? A diploid drone, right?

So, what'e the correct definition of a drone? A haploid bee, or a bee with only one copy of an allele?

Well, maybe three, eh Finman?

A diploid female, and a haploid male, and a diploid male. Right? And, it's all about alleles.

It doesn't take 1000. It only takes 2. A bee with two different alleles is a female. A bee with one allele is a male. But what if a bee has two alleles that are identical? A diploid drone, right?

So, what'e the correct definition of a drone? A haploid bee, or a bee with only one copy of an allele?

Eh Michael. Nothing right.

Do you mean chromosomes?

If you look wikipedia, allele is different variation of same gene. Variantions have been formed via mutations. IT may have one or more chemical changes in protein chain.

Correct defition to drone is male bee.

Diploid drones do not exist because workers eate those brood.

Last edited:
If I remember my university genetics a gene can have different alleles
A gene for eye colour can have alleles for different colour eyes
Fruit flies if I remember

If I remember my university genetics a gene can have different alleles
A gene for eye colour can have alleles for different colour eyes
Fruit flies if I remember

Heal you remembering: Wikipedia!

Dictionaries are good too.

allele
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/allele​
a gene that is found in one of two or more different forms in the same position in a chromosome, and so produces a particular characteristic that can be different for different people, such as eye colour

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back