Separates instead of all-in-one suit?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeJayBee

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
I find boiler suits very uncomfortable to wear, so I thought I might try to get separates - preferably not white, and with a careful eye on the finances. I've spent ages looking, but I really don't know what to go with and I've ended up with more questions than answers.

If you wear 'separates', from your experience what would be the safest option for a newcomer who might make mistakes?

Would a hat and veil, with a jacket/smock work, perhaps with a pair of overtrousers? Could I get away with wearing a pair of thornproof walking trousers? Or would it be better to get a jacket/smock with an attached hat/veil? Or is it really important to wear a one-piece suit, even if it isn't comfortable?

I've tried a hooped mask type and didn't like the way the bands reduced peripheral vision. Some of the round hats are half cloth, half veil - are they better?

Last edited:
I've got a separates BB wear suit but find the all-in-one much better.

Just feel more comfortable (& safer) in it.

I use it as a back-up.

It is handy having just a top to slip quickly on sometimes.

:iagree: All-in-one for extensive work, but for a quick look slip a jacket on

The question is why do you find boiler suits difficult?

Once upon a time part of my job was buying and issuing overalls to Drill Crews, and with a decent rance of sizes, as in 38 short up to 60 long no one had issues.

Seperates are all very well until that gap at the back appears and then you have the time honoured question to contemplate, "is that bee IN the veil or out?" Usually rapidly followed by... "Ouch my bl***y nose!"

PH

The concern about smock and trousers is the gap when you bend over. So an all is one does slip on easily which is what I use most of the time. Unless you're nervous you don't need to go to thornproof. A smock top half and jeans will do for many occasions. When it's hot all I wear is an all-in-one and boxer-shorts plus wellies and nitrile gloves. (Sorry too much information).

I have a smock which I have used a few times until I inspected my hve from hell wearing it.
I had a small hole in the knee of my jeans and about half a dozen of the little devils found the hole and stung my up the inside of my leg and one got me on my gentlemens bits.
Since then I wear a full suit...

OUCH !
My eyes are watering.
I bet yours were too.
What did the missus think about the swelling ??

Depends on your bees.

Nasty little swines - overalls

Friendly darlings - Bee Jacket.

Do you feel lucky? Well do you beek! (Punk!)

lol

I wear a smock (with built in hood/veil) - but its pretty long and I have never had any issues with gaps between it and whatever I am wearing "bottom end". ie I can stretch up and bend over repeatedly without it riding up much/at all.

I tend to wear tracksuit type of trousers (fairly light but a second mesh layer down to about knee level) tucked into wellies.

I did start off with a boiler suit and a seperate hat/veil thingy but that was bl**dy uncomfortable.

I never got round to getting a full/all in one cos what I have seems to work well enough.

Veil & T shirt (or something)

just to change the subject slightly, Ive got a spare veil which wont fit any of my suits, so I was thinking of getting someone to sew it onto a T shirt to make a quick veil and top, just for quick things in the apiary mind you.
Has anyone done anything similar or any ideas, how to use it. I could send it back of course but postage at a couple of quid seems a waste if it can be utilised.

dave W

Overalls go for a few pounds if you search. Buy one and tuck it in the neck - away to go.;)

I started with a smock & jeans - until I got 5 stings accross my back where I couldn't scratch or put cream without help...I now where a one piece which is uncomfortable...but safe!!

Also, first year 25-35 stings...this year 3, 1 on the wrist and two on my hands (working gloveless @ Buckfast...)

I wear an old cheap full suit with no veil and throw on a smock with veil to inspect the bees. As I'm not undoing and doing the zips all the time so there's little chance of a gap in the zips... Quick and easy!

At least I did - I now have a full, bright orange BBWear suit for 2012 - cannot wait!

R2

Why are full suits or boiler suits uncomfortable? In what way?
They should be large enough to prevent restriction to movement and therefore, no different to wearing a smock.
There's not much of my wife but she chose an extra large suit, plenty of room (and material) She's never been stung.

btw be careful smocks are not too long.

I still wear a full suit, but I have a couple of problems with them. The first is that I'm a little shorter than average in the leg compared with my upper body which means I usually end up with large amounts of material to try to tuck into my wellies and the problem is further exacerbated by the fact that my calves are already an interference fit in my wellies (I used to get a partial vacuum in my old pair until a hole developed in the foot :)

The second is that I get very hot, even with just a t-shirt and shorts underneath.

I'm trying a microfibre suit at the moment to see if that is cooler to work in, but I think I might have to resort to cutting a pair of boots down to resolve the first problem.

James

Ive got all in 1 and seperates (bb wear) and I find the all in one is much better for normal use as it gives a grater level of confidence. I was stung a couple of times last year when wearing separates as bees have an uncanny knack of finding the exposed gap that can appear when bending over.

BB wear fencing type veils are much wider than cheaper ones and dont obstruct vision

Swarm - I think it is just that an all in one sits differently than the clothes we usually wear...I feel a bit like Wesley in Last of the Summer Wine...uncomfortable in anything other than that which I usually wear...a one piece instead of trousers and loose (ish) top...

Latest posts

Back