Seller want to use own labels

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kighill

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Forever more.
I have recently started keeping some of my bees in a small out apiary. I have extracted this Honey separately from my home apiary to allow the owner of the land to sell it as genuinely from the apiary site.
I am happy with this and should I get enough honey I will sell any surplus at another outlet.
The owner of the land would like to sell the honey onto his customers with his own label design. Other than using his own photo and the locality name the labels will have my details on for traceability.
The bees are located in a very secure location and I hope to put a few more hives in next year.
The land owner assures me the labels will only be used on my pre jarred honey.
Any thoughts around the label regulations please?

I think you'd be ok provided that the seller's label complies with the labelling regulations - get them a copy so that they know what is required in terms of name of contents, font size, etc.

You might also want to advise on the storage of your honey before it's sold at the outlet. You don't want dirty jars or heavily crystallised honey in a jar with your name on it.

CVB

Thank you
I have supplied copies of my current labels and will be supplying the honey already in 12oz jars and will direct the seller to one of the well known beekeeping supplier websites for further label advice.
I suspect he may fully design the labels "in house"

It is normal that somebody sells honey with his own label, even if he does not have own hives.

"produced outside EU, like a label says.

I have recently started keeping some of my bees in a small out apiary. I have extracted this Honey separately from my home apiary to allow the owner of the land to sell it as genuinely from the apiary site.
I am happy with this and should I get enough honey I will sell any surplus at another outlet.
The owner of the land would like to sell the honey onto his customers with his own label design. Other than using his own photo and the locality name the labels will have my details on for traceability.
The bees are located in a very secure location and I hope to put a few more hives in next year.
The land owner assures me the labels will only be used on my pre jarred honey.
Any thoughts around the label regulations please?

I'd have thought if you have processed it into jars, your name needs to be on it according to the law. Can anyone advise on that?

I'd have thought if you have processed it into jars, your name needs to be on it according to the law. Can anyone advise on that?

In the first post, KH says the labels will have his name and address on for traceability. This is in accordance with the labelling regs. So for example it could say "Ravenshead Hotel Honey, made by bees on the premises. Processed by A Beek, 1 Varroa Way, Ravenshead NT1 1RU" with weight, best by date, etc.

CVB

I sell honey in similar circumstances to yourself in a farm shop where I also have an apiary I have the name of the farm in large print on the label with my contact details and lot numbers for traceability in small print my local trading standards are ok with this.

Your details do not need to be on it.

There MUST be a way to contact the vendor (as in the name on the label rather than the individual shop) in the event of a complaint or problem with the product.

This can be a physical or postal address, or can even be a website (one of the castles we supply honey to, albeit indirectly, simply has the website as its address).

It is not required to name the actual physical producer but there MUST be some way that, after a complaint is made to the named on the label entity, the chain back to producer can be traced if required.

Not a single pound/kilo of our honey here.....which is many tonnes a year......carries any reference to ourselves as source producers, but will be traceable back from vendor to packer to producer, and in our case we can then trace back to producing apiary or apiaries. It is a bit of a paper trail and of course is not a factor for small producer/packers, but for sure, it does NOT need to have your name or contact details on the pack unless you are selling under your own label

Latest posts

Back