securing brood and honey supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafyddcoch

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi. I live in a part of the world that has some stonking winds with 90mph+ gusts quite common and a top-speed recorded by my of 108 mph. Thankfully, it isn't like it all the time and today it is calm, warm and the hawthorn trees are in full heady bloom. Despite having just assembled a Hobee hive and stand that I'm about to place an area that is sheltered by willow trees (big gaps all around,) and adding windbreak netting to slow the wind down, I'm still minded to attach the boxes to each other via over-centre catches or even simple bathroom bolts. This is not to stop it falling over but to stop the boxes shifting on each other, especially if they're not heavy with honey. Is securing the boxes to stop them sliding over each other a good idea?

I decided on the spot mentioned above as it catches the sun as it rises over the hill and by lunchtime, it is in the shade from the willow trees.

There, I've asked my first daft question! lol

Hi…I’ve no idea what a Hobee hive is however if your stand is secure to the ground then a ratchet strap is ideal. There are simple hive straps from bee suppliers or some with fixing hooks from all builders merchants. I’d suggest you can easily rig something up with these.

Ha...wind....Hawthorne...you must be around St Davids, the only trees round there grow in hollows.

Hives on stands on concrete slabs strapped down to eyebolts always works.

Mine are all on 3x2 council slabs with eye bolts drilled through and ratchet straps to winch the hives down because I have a malevolent herd of deer that visits the apairy for entertainment.
Bloomin sheep and cows off the mountain getting in is my concern! Do the deer taste nice? lol

Thanks all. I was going to place in on paving slabs and I already have a stand so that's part way there. The good old ratchet strap solves so many problems doesn't it!

Hi…I’ve no idea what a Hobee hive is however if your stand is secure to the ground then a ratchet strap is ideal. There are simple hive straps from bee suppliers or some with fixing hooks from all builders merchants. I’d suggest you can easily rig something up with these.
Apologies, yes as below, it is a self-assembly standard sold by Hobee made from Anatolian Pine/cedar. I've nothing to use as a benchmark, but it was well machined (CNC?) and with exterior grade pva to back-up the fastenings, I think it should last quite a long time.

Hi. I live in a part of the world that has some stonking winds with 90mph+ gusts quite common and a top-speed recorded by my of 108 mph. Thankfully, it isn't like it all the time and today it is calm, warm and the hawthorn trees are in full heady bloom. Despite having just assembled a Hobee hive and stand that I'm about to place an area that is sheltered by willow trees (big gaps all around,) and adding windbreak netting to slow the wind down, I'm still minded to attach the boxes to each other via over-centre catches or even simple bathroom bolts. This is not to stop it falling over but to stop the boxes shifting on each other, especially if they're not heavy with honey. Is securing the boxes to stop them sliding over each other a good idea?

I decided on the spot mentioned above as it catches the sun as it rises over the hill and by lunchtime, it is in the shade from the willow trees.

Some here use spring clips to hold boxes together.

https://www.beekeepingsuppliesaustralia.com.au/product-category/hive-clips-emlocks/

Mine are all on 3x2 council slabs with eye bolts drilled through and ratchet straps to winch the hives down because I have a malevolent herd of deer that visits the apairy for entertainment.
Yeah I have a clients WBCs on the side of the tallest hill in Sussex and it getsIMG_1864.jpeg quite a blow so I did the same.

https://leachs.com/products/big-ben...8mB2WkR-4FJn9mpUSAYEJngNm3qDZ2XBoCs-YQAvD_BwEThis was the first one that appeared when googling, there are other similar designs, which are cheaper and even Screwfix,
A ground anchor and ratchet strap would secure your hives, one per hive.

I use rubber gate matting that come in 1x2 sheets from a farmers store underneath. Ground anchors each side and ratchet straps. I use them all year. Having had a hive fall over I never want that to happen again!

https://leachs.com/products/big-ben...8mB2WkR-4FJn9mpUSAYEJngNm3qDZ2XBoCs-YQAvD_BwEThis was the first one that appeared when googling, there are other similar designs, which are cheaper and even Screwfix,
A ground anchor and ratchet strap would secure your hives, one per hive.
I'm not sure I would get them down very far - the Pennines aren't far down here!
I have platforms made from 4" square 8' beams x2 topped with decking squares. Hives are anchored to these with ratchet straps mainly.

Latest posts

Back