Saving some bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really, a doddle to move - nice round tree. It isn't going to fall apart as you move it, the roots failed, not the trunk.

Get some suitable brash logs (just big enough to shove under the trunk). Do a couple of plunges to find the limits of the nest, then uppercut to about 60% of the diameter, well clear of the nest. Shove the brash logs under, then do the top cut - you'll probably need to cut some big wedges out unless your man has a jack. Slab up the adjacent sections (nice firewood), and roll out the nest section. I'd then do a rip cut with a long bar and split open the nest with a couple of wedges or a jack.

Really, a doddle to move - nice round tree. It isn't going to fall apart as you move it, the roots failed, not the trunk.

Get some suitable brash logs (just big enough to shove under the trunk). Do a couple of plunges to find the limits of the nest, then uppercut to about 60% of the diameter, well clear of the nest. Shove the brash logs under, then do the top cut - you'll probably need to cut some big wedges out unless your man has a jack. Slab up the adjacent sections (nice firewood), and roll out the nest section. I'd then do a rip cut with a long bar and split open the nest with a couple of wedges or a jack.

I thought it was acheivable but the treesurgeon who has the job is not keen for anything to go wrong and i don't have the kit to do it myself. So am reliant on his knowledge of how to cut the tree and my knowledge of what to do with the bee's. I will mention the above to him and see what he says, thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back