Bee(s) in a wall vent

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ikoth

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all,

I live in North Wales (UK). A few days ago, I noticed a small bee disappear into a wall vent at the front of my house. The vent is small - set vertically into the mortar between two bricks, with six holes along it's length. It's about 30 cm above ground level and I suspect its providing ventilation to the void beneath the concrete floor of the house.

I watched for a few minutes and the bee emerged and flew off. Since then I've seen no activity around the vent, no bees coming or going. However, yesterday morning, I noticed that four of the holes in the vent have been blocked up, with what I presume is wax. But still no sign of any bees.

I'm curious as to what's going on here. At least one creature has obviously taken an active interest in the space beneath my floor, but why is there so little activity?

Other than the risk of dogs / cats / kids getting stung (the vent is close to the front door), I'm not particularly bothered if the bees want to live under the house - the floor is concrete, so I don't foresee any damage being done.

Is there likely to be a colony developing? Am I underestimating the potential for structural damage? I'd prefer to just leave them to do their thing, but will reluctantly take action if they're likely to become problem neighbours.

Thanks.

Don't worry, bees differ. This s a solitary or masonry bee. It finds a hole in a wall, lays eggs, the bees emerge and that's the end of it. The odd harmless bee. It is good for the planet and will cause you no harm..it may come back next year. Look forward to it
If however there are hundreds arriving and leaving at any one time then come back to us

E

Last edited:
Splendid. Thanks all.

I shall watch with interest.

Back