Ross Rounds?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a couple of photos to show the fillet removed and I then use metal runners as seen. I use small self tappers with a small blob of gorilla glue to secure them before screwing them in. The lip after cutting is 25mm (1" old money) which is plenty. The depth of the fillet cut is up to you whether you want top or bottom bee space. I sometimes face the inner cut with a sliver (2mm) of wood (gorilla glued in) to increase the strength with the polystyrene down to 23mm but I don't think it's really necessary. The Honey paw boxes are flatpack dovetailed and are easily cut. The fillet you remove can be used glued on the ends where the frames previously rested. I should point out that if I was 40 years younger I would use Langstroth frames all round (still poly) to save messing around BUT I had a load of 2nd hand Natiomal frames and was an impecunious post grad when I started to go poly and couldn't afford to Langstroth frames. I took Mobus' advice and in freezing Aberdeenshire never regretted it. I have only lost one colony after winter in all the years and feel that the use of poly hives has been a large contributor. Now in Somerset (12 years) and still see the benefits with warmthe in the winter and cool in the summer.

Attachments

• IMG_4045.JPG
    IMG_4045.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4046.JPG
    IMG_4046.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4047.JPG
    IMG_4047.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Some Ross Rounds for sale down my way

Attachments

• C356A686-24BC-4FC2-AB5A-4F9D5F17C783.jpeg
    C356A686-24BC-4FC2-AB5A-4F9D5F17C783.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 3
This is just a crazy idea, and I have never made Ross rounds or handled the equipment, so have no idea if its viable.

But would it be possible to replace the outer plastic ring with wax. could you maybe put in a small flimsy sleeve, then the wax. The idea being that the small flimsy sleeve will stop the wax sticking to the frame. Then once remove the flimsy sleeve can be peel off the wax and reused.

Then you will have a pure wax and honey Ross round that you can pack in a nice little plastic box!

replace the outer plastic ring with wax
The ring would be needed to define the shape and contain the bees in the cassette, but (wild guess) if the ring was coated very thinly with food-grade something oily, after which molten wax was poured onto the insides of the rings, the bees would quite likely work the wax and create comb as usual.

The oily something would prevent the wax perimeter & comb from sticking to the ring, and the comb could be slid out and the ring re-used.

Would honey work instead of an oily something?

I imagine using honey would end up very messy, but given the way industrial-scale food production works I bet there are food grade releasing agents. Perhaps even a ring of silicone could be made to do the job?

James

I imagine using honey would end up very messy, but given the way industrial-scale food production works I bet there are food grade releasing agents. Perhaps even a ring of silicone could be made to do the job?

A quick search online suggests there are more food grade release agents than you can shake a hairy stick at. It appears they're quite commonly used in baking and confectionery-making.

James

Remember that the wax comb will be very fragile and the idea that the comb circle would just slide out I think is somewhat optimistic without comb damage. Nice idea though. Having looked at the price of the Ross Round shown in the photo(£14 +) I think that it is worth sticking with the original method.

somewhat optimistic without comb damage.
I agree: as it is, removing ring & finished comb from the cassette must be done with care, or the comb disconnects from the ring and cappings fracture.

If that happens I put it back together as best I can and give it to the bees to repair, or freeze and give the following season.

One of the benefits with the Ross round frames is you can juggle them about, so your hive doesn’t necessarily have to be rammed with bees rather used as a traditional super. Completed/drawn frames can be taken from the centre of box and moved to sides

The local honey is cheapish….£6.99 for 12oz…it can go £7.99… here’s another display from a new place we jokingly call the meat boutique in Ascot High Street. It’s kind of a butchers but no proper butcher in residence..8oz jars. The jars in the original pic bottom left corner with the plastic labels are a beefarmers who does a few markets…Always appears to have an endless supply of raw lime honey!
View attachment IMG_0675.MOV

Last edited:
Last I heard, Steve Benbow (aka London Honey Co) was running 800 in all parts. Heard (can't recall where) that his favourite apiary is at Dungeness, a National Nature Reserve, so likely to be loaded with forage.
No I didn’t mean him I said my first pic.

sounds like many 'butchers' nowadays - skilled only in opening vacuum packages of pre-dressed meat
In fairness there’s a couple of very good local ones, there’s even been a couple open. Many obviously shut years ago with the surge in supermarkets, but those that stuck it out and improved appear to be doing well. We are also lucky enough to have a good proper wet fish shop. Both the fish shop and a friends butchers get queues outside, not cheap but good produce! My butcher friend jokingly looked at a big dry aged rib the other day and said “10 years ago you couldn’t sell beef that looked like that now I can get enough”😂 His prize winning carcasses for Xmas sale arrive this week my Xmas Rib is already selected😂

I’m picking mine now😂

Attachments

• 76F4B501-2ED6-4143-99A3-E8AD7FF6DE4F.jpeg
    76F4B501-2ED6-4143-99A3-E8AD7FF6DE4F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 84CA131E-BA5F-491C-ABBC-D0D5BEDFDBD9.jpeg
    84CA131E-BA5F-491C-ABBC-D0D5BEDFDBD9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back