Rosehip Syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borderer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Having been attacked by a dog rose today I was reminded of school days when I used to collect rosehips and wondered if it is possible to make my own rosehip syrup.

Last edited:
It most certainly is. Top and tail your hips (rose) to get rid of the black bits and you can either split the hips and get rid of the insides, or just grind them up and give them a good simmer to soften them up, then add some of the sugar to suck up the flavour, but keep it thin, because you want to eventually squeeze/strain the solids off the liquor, then add the remainder of the syrup.

It's been about 30 years since I last made it, but you get the idea. Just don't get too many embedded spikes as you do your picking. :party:

Is there any way to preserve its shelf life?
When I did it, it went mouldy after 3 weeks or so.

As with all syrup, once you have the flavour into it, make sure that it is well strained and then made up to a heavy saturated solution and brought to the boil to kill any bacteria. then it should last quite a while if kept well sealed.

It should only go mouldy if things are not sterile to begin with. A little citric acid might help.

My mother in law makes this quite regularly, I will squeeze the recipe out of her but I do know for her the way to avoid getting pricked and scratched is to send my father in law to get the hips. :)

Crush 2lbs rosehips and put into 3 pints boiling water. Bring back to boil, remove from heat and let stand for 10 mins. Strain through jellybag and when it ceases to drip, return to pan with another 1½ pints boiling water. Re-boil and allow to stand as before, strain. Mix both extracts, pour into a clean pan, reduce by boiling until juice measures 1½ pints. Add 1lb sugar. Stir over gentle heat until sugar dissolves, boil for 5 minutes. Pour into hot bottles, seal.

Is there any way to preserve its shelf life?
When I did it, it went mouldy after 3 weeks or so.

When we make a lot of and we know that it won't keep long, we do this.

We mix it with some water, I do 50/50, then tip the mix into ice cube trays and freeze them.
I do this in batches then put them in a freezer bag and drop them in the chest freezer.
We don't then use them until the fresh stuff has been used up, ie the summer.
You can take them out and add a little water to make a refreshing summer drink, or pop a cube straight in your mouth and suck it...

Brian

As with all syrup, once you have the flavour into it, make sure that it is well strained and then made up to a heavy saturated solution and brought to the boil to kill any bacteria. then it should last quite a while if kept well sealed.

It should only go mouldy if things are not sterile to begin with. A little citric acid might help.

And be sure to sterilise your bottles/jars. Half an hour in the oven does this well.

Thank you all for your advice. I am certainly going to give it a go I liked the idea of ice cubes

Last edited:
Having been attacked by a dog rose today I was reminded of school days when I used to collect rosehips and wondered if it is possible to make my own rosehip syrup.

You've reminded me of my school days, when the rose hip was split open and the hairy content was scattered on toilet seats :willy_nilly:
Always good for a laugh :D

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back