Reusing frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelwine

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Do you re-use brood frames or just buy them when you need new ones?
Its quite a time consuming job scraping down, scorching and refitting them isnt it!

Reuse... Frames dont grow on trees!:rolleyes:

Depends if you are a wealthy hobby beeminder and can afford to burn and replace.
But then some find it fun to spend time scraping & cleaning and even making their own wax foundation.
My frames get used until they need replacing.........

Tin hat on for the ninnyfish brigade ( Finnman's two hivers) to gop on about drone size deminishment/disease/cleanliness/natural beeminding/ top bars/moon hives etc etc

Cleaning up frames can be fiddly but I re-use mine.

After cutting out the comb and scrapping off easy wax and propolis, I store mine. When I have a batch, they go in a hot solution of Washing Soda (sodium carbonate. The residues come off and after wash in clean water they are ready for re-use. Seems to work.
;)

I have never 'scraped and scorched' frames. There are far better alternatives for me. I do mine differently to Barbarian above.

I'm gradually converting standard frames to 14 x12, but I haven't scorched them - is this necessary if there's no disease?

Not needed to be scorched, even if diseased, if they are adequately disinfected by another means.

Do you re-use brood frames or just buy them when you need new ones?
Its quite a time consuming job scraping down, scorching and refitting them isnt it!

Do whichever suits you. I don't have time to mess about so they get binned.
Cazza

Sounds to me that there's room for an entrepreneur to start a frame reconditioning service on a cottage industry basis -- post in, quick scrape, big tank of caustic soda, neutralising bath, wash down, dry them out ... post back. Bobs yr uncle ....

Cleaning up used frames is a pain but I still do it because I hate to bin something you can recycle.

Alternative methods O 90 O? Do tell.

Sounds to me that there's room for an entrepreneur to start a frame reconditioning service on a cottage industry basis -- post in, quick scrape, big tank of caustic soda, neutralising bath, wash down, dry them out ... post back. Bobs yr uncle ....

I'd use it .....are you offering?
E

I don't mind cleaning them so much as converting them - haven't got the patience!

All our old frames go through a steamer to extract the residue of wax, then straight into a hot solution of washing soda..

.. sold on as T*****s seconds!!!
:sorry:
probably get me a :ban:

:nature-smiley-014::nature-smiley-014::nature-smiley-014::nature-smiley-014::nature-smiley-014:

Would fumigating them with 80% acetic acid solution suffice if not scrubbing and scorching?

200 frames dosage is quite good to work out.

Frames are in 10 bunch.
Then dip it into boiling lyewater (3-5%)
all wax loosens.
Take the foam off from water surface with sieve.

When all are boiled, dilute them in pure water.
Pile them to dry up so that when they dry, they will be rectangular.

All this is faster than nail new frames.

Frames are like new and clean to handle.

You may too arrange boiling parties inside society.

Back