Queenless Colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash1962

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Just checked my 8 Hives today and one of them is Queenless ,No Brood Nothing it’s dwindled down to a small Colony of a Couple of Frames
I live in the North East
Do I combine or Buy a Mated Queen tomorrow ? Thanks

Just checked my 8 Hives today and one of them is Queenless ,No Brood Nothing it’s dwindled down to a small Colony of a Couple of Frames
I live in the North East
Do I combine or Buy a Mated Queen tomorrow ? Thanks
cu our losses and shake them out

A weak queenless colony.
I would combine.
Unless there are signs of disease.
One less to treat and feed.

Shake out? So meaning shake the frames of bees from the weak hive over the brood box in a strong hive and put the crown board and roof back on?

No.
Take the box of bees a few yards away in front of the other hives/s
Shake all the bees into the grass
Take the box roof and floor away
OR
You could give them a helping hand by shaking them onto a slope in front of another colony so they go in via the entrance. Some people smoke them first. Don't know if that makes any difference

On the basis that bees are likely to respond by eating honey, and by bringing that useful gift, more likely to be accepted by their new family.
Yes, so they say
I see bees with heads down into honey whether I smoke them or not but on balance of probabilities if you are shaking out it’s likely best to smoke them anyway

Latest posts

Back