Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

toffa987 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hello Everyone, I've just finished my first year of beekeeping. Hence, I have collected my wax cappings in a box and am planning to render it (I think that's what it's called) so that I can then melt it and then make candles. I've seen many methods online for doing this. So do any of you know the best method and/or could provide a link for a website/YouTube video explaining this method? Thanks

Swarm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 30, less than 100.
It's a simple enough procedure but don't use anything that has another purpose because you will never remove the wax.
Clean the cappings thoroughly, I hang mine outside in a net bag and allow the rain to do the job. I then allow them to drip dry under cover. Long winded process but I'm in no rush and the cappings are like sawdust at the end, rain water is by far the best.
Heat some water in a pan, don't have it boiling a gentle roll is enough, add the wax. When it's melted down, pour it all through coarse material filter if there is a fair bit of gunk or a finer filter if the wax was clean looking (piece of hessian or pair of tights) into a container and leave it to cool. You should be left with a nice block of wax and can remove it fairly easy from the container due to the water underneath. How dirty the bottom of that block is determines how many times you melt it down in a bain marie and pass it through very fine filter like J cloth or lint.

Attachments

toffa987 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Thank you so much. That really helps. I'll hang it all outside later today!

pargyle 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello Everyone, I've just finished my first year of beekeeping. Hence, I have collected my wax cappings in a box and am planning to render it (I think that's what it's called) so that I can then melt it and then make candles. I've seen many methods online for doing this. So do any of you know the best method and/or could provide a link for a website/YouTube video explaining this method? Thanks
This thread is useful and worth a read:

and this one:

toffa987 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
This thread is useful and worth a read:

and this one:

Thanks, I'll have a read.

Brewer24 

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Just a warning. Rendering bees wax should be done outside. I’ve just spilt the liquid down the kitchen cupboard doors and getting the wax off is virtually impossible. Missus isn’t too happy!

gmonag 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
6 Rose Hives
Use a heat gun (carefully) to melt the wax in small patches, then mop off with a paper towel whilst it is still liquid.

amandaj57 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 + 1 nucs
Just a warning. Rendering bees wax should be done outside. I’ve just spilt the liquid down the kitchen cupboard doors and getting the wax off is virtually impossible. Missus isn’t too happy!
:oops:
You will now have to wax all of them so they match. ;)
Use a heat gun (carefully) to melt the wax in small patches, then mop off with a paper towel whilst it is still liquid.
A decent hairdryer can be a little less intimidating to use and just as effective (yes, bitter experience).

drex 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I use a small one ring electric hot plate in my shed, having learned the hard way, having spent hours cleaning up her kitchen

pargyle 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Been there and got the T-shirt, Two ring electric hob from Aldi/Lidl at £18 is a good investment and staying well away from the kitchen or anything that cold be contaminated with wax is absolutely essential if domestic harmony is to be maintained ...

Latest posts