Efficient Use of Super Comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb2603

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What is the best way to use super combs for those that have heather honey in the autumn?

I’ve extracted a couple of early supers this year and put them back with intact comb to hopefully get another summer crop at the end of July or so. Last year I put the extracted supers with comb back on and these were then filled with very thick heather honey in August. To extract, after trying a few different methods, I had to crush the comb completely to get the honey out. I used the rendered wax for candles so all not lost. However, my bees have had to draw out comb from scratch this year and I’m wondering if it was the most efficient use of comb. Would I be better storing the wet supers after the summer honey and reusing for a couple of seasons and getting the bees to draw out comb for heather just before the crop comes in?

Just trying to be efficient, I don’t mind either way and would be interested to hear what others do.

Thanks

Ive been wondering too as some heather in some supers last year was a pita.
Thinking extract just before heather starts and put thin unwired foundation on for cut comb heather (or mix) honey.

for a handful of hives, buy a hand heather loosener, gets most of the honey out then store it wet for use in the spring
I tried that it wasn't very effective, though I was then trying to spin radially - should have gone for tangentially

I tried that it wasn't very effective, though I was then trying to spin radially
it doesn't work unless you extract tangentially. I've been extracting heather successfully for years using this method, and with quite a few more than a dozen hives.

Latest posts

Back