Rendering Beeswax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toffa987

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello Everyone, I've just finished my first year of beekeeping. Hence, I have collected my wax cappings in a box and am planning to render it (I think that's what it's called) so that I can then melt it and then make candles. I've seen many methods online for doing this. So do any of you know the best method and/or could provide a link for a website/YouTube video explaining this method? Thanks

It's a simple enough procedure but don't use anything that has another purpose because you will never remove the wax.
Clean the cappings thoroughly, I hang mine outside in a net bag and allow the rain to do the job. I then allow them to drip dry under cover. Long winded process but I'm in no rush and the cappings are like sawdust at the end, rain water is by far the best.
Heat some water in a pan, don't have it boiling a gentle roll is enough, add the wax. When it's melted down, pour it all through coarse material filter if there is a fair bit of gunk or a finer filter if the wax was clean looking (piece of hessian or pair of tights) into a container and leave it to cool. You should be left with a nice block of wax and can remove it fairly easy from the container due to the water underneath. How dirty the bottom of that block is determines how many times you melt it down in a bain marie and pass it through very fine filter like J cloth or lint.

Attachments

• cappings wax.jpg
    cappings wax.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 32
Thank you so much. That really helps. I'll hang it all outside later today!

Hello Everyone, I've just finished my first year of beekeeping. Hence, I have collected my wax cappings in a box and am planning to render it (I think that's what it's called) so that I can then melt it and then make candles. I've seen many methods online for doing this. So do any of you know the best method and/or could provide a link for a website/YouTube video explaining this method? Thanks

This thread is useful and worth a read:

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/filtering-wax.49176/#post-737672
and this one:

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/candle-making-advice.49075/page-2#post-734444

Just a warning. Rendering bees wax should be done outside. I’ve just spilt the liquid down the kitchen cupboard doors and getting the wax off is virtually impossible. Missus isn’t too happy!

Use a heat gun (carefully) to melt the wax in small patches, then mop off with a paper towel whilst it is still liquid.

Just a warning. Rendering bees wax should be done outside. I’ve just spilt the liquid down the kitchen cupboard doors and getting the wax off is virtually impossible. Missus isn’t too happy!
:oops:
You will now have to wax all of them so they match. ;)
Use a heat gun (carefully) to melt the wax in small patches, then mop off with a paper towel whilst it is still liquid.
A decent hairdryer can be a little less intimidating to use and just as effective (yes, bitter experience).

Been there and got the T-shirt, Two ring electric hob from Aldi/Lidl at £18 is a good investment and staying well away from the kitchen or anything that cold be contaminated with wax is absolutely essential if domestic harmony is to be maintained ...

It's a simple enough procedure but don't use anything that has another purpose because you will never remove the wax.
Clean the cappings thoroughly, I hang mine outside in a net bag and allow the rain to do the job. I then allow them to drip dry under cover. Long winded process but I'm in no rush and the cappings are like sawdust at the end, rain water is by far the best.
Heat some water in a pan, don't have it boiling a gentle roll is enough, add the wax. When it's melted down, pour it all through coarse material filter if there is a fair bit of gunk or a finer filter if the wax was clean looking (piece of hessian or pair of tights) into a container and leave it to cool. You should be left with a nice block of wax and can remove it fairly easy from the container due to the water underneath. How dirty the bottom of that block is determines how many times you melt it down in a bain marie and pass it through very fine filter like J cloth or lint.
Suggest you let the bees clean the cappings and store any residual honey first. Bound to be some surely?

Hi, I was rendering my Beeswax when I was managing my 28 Hives when I was younger. I have a Solar Wax Extractor, which was second hand and homemade, this served me well, I filtered via an old pillowcase into a baking mould for a 2lb loaf. Depending on colour of the Wax to be rendered I cleaned white wax first then slightly darker until my final render would by very dark for Polish. Cleaning the sticky wax was a job for the Bees. (White and Med Wax only). Dark Wax was soaked in Rainwater Butt (in another Pillowcase), then Air dried and eventually Solar Rendered to a different mould. My pillowcases came from jumble sales car boots etc. Hope this helps!

I Have been asked if I can provide pure wax for soap making etc, which I said I could, as I’ve got years of capping which I’ve been waiting to find something to do with, but I e been asked if a can render them into the small droplets like you buy online, it makes it easier for weighing, hmm some folk are just a pain in the rear. But it has got me thinking, can this be done on a small scale?

I guess you can, however I cannot imagine what you would pour this wax on to except rainwater in a basin, as I have never had to do this I would be asking them to accept ounces for grating, then you can mould them. If you were to pour droplets on to water this would take an eternity and I guess would not be worth the effort so to speak. Let us know how you get on please I for one am interested.

Back