Recycling brood wax?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. I'll have to give it a go when I've got enough wax. Thanks
I sell it in this sort of aluminium screw top tin .. looks good with a nice round label on the top ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aluminum-S...5&sprefix=screw+top+tins,aps,103&sr=8-17&th=1

You just pour the melted polish straight in to the tin and let it set in the tin .. you can add a little lavender oil for a fragranced version or just leave it natural for a beeswax scent. There are lots of recipes about - you basically need a softening agent, as beeswax on it's own is too hard. There are variants that use chopping board oil, turpentine and boiled linseed oil - in various proportions - but don't use Linseed oil on its own with the beeswax as it tends to stay sticky for a long time. If you want a longer lasting shine you can also add a small percentage of Carnuba wax.

I sell it in this sort of aluminium screw top tin .. looks good with a nice round label on the top ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aluminum-Sopito-Containers-Candles-Cosmetics/dp/B08YK6Z6QC/ref=sr_1_17?crid=17DUCBQVXDU2F&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Aec2dp4GrMP-EQFgC9D2IPu0qFZ1qyLt73l7M_fu1qEM-PkYufE1D7J9Oo-l-KTyVsnFG4odszrpWzEp8Tw2u7A7GPfYoH6APr-Zepl1kPeYlbhg7auaW3vLQZ4R-mfweS9IvFDpSVqXbSQi2KiitZVAFHxQI78PGmj_sF8LaelPd7__rm1kG5s9kQhFIWeCnQOl8VfMTIbWzvui7999OyX_dwj1hbH-lv0nIER_TTHq-w1FA4ZLLrzAzeSWnMLgVg64cqhKNfBnh5m1Ip97v1Gt0U9kfrMlPftg0hgH5gA.MPhpXMAHYXmX9eppj-oMFyNRBE-Ag4BgEIP5ZAzkbfI&dib_tag=se&keywords=small+screw+top+tins&nsdOptOutParam=true&qid=1727701845&sprefix=screw+top+tins,aps,103&sr=8-17&th=1

You just pour the melted polish straight in to the tin and let it set in the tin .. you can add a little lavender oil for a fragranced version or just leave it natural for a beeswax scent. There are lots of recipes about - you basically need a softening agent, as beeswax on it's own is too hard. There are variants that use chopping board oil, turpentine and boiled linseed oil - in various proportions - but don't use Linseed oil on its own with the beeswax as it tends to stay sticky for a long time. If you want a longer lasting shine you can also add a small percentage of Carnuba wax.
Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Do you sell on Facebook marketplace?

Would be useful to specify the pan metal when treating beeswax, Peter. Years ago I found an old copper pan and the result was an awful disaster.
I use a Thorne's Easy steamer for steaming wax out of brood frames; and a Thorne's stainless steel Bain Marie for melting wax prior to moulding the blocks.

Aluminium crops up in the same debate but seems safe to use, though certainty is elusive.
I've used aluminium bain maries for the initial rendering and filtering of wax for years and it makes no difference to the wax.

I've used aluminium bain maries for the initial rendering and filtering of wax for years and it makes no difference to the wax.
Yes, your post in the link confirmed that it was OK; look further on the internet and the fog of conflicting opinion descends...

Yes, your post in the link confirmed that it was OK; look further on the internet and the fog of conflicting opinion descends...
it's like the old chestnut about aluminium cooking utensils causing dementia - no evidence at all of it being true.

Latest posts

Back