Old brood comb and frames: recycle or chuck?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair points from all those who at least save the wax and use the frames for something productive. I was thinking of those I know who just chuck frames -wax 'n' all - onto a bonfire...

For those who to give frames a clean up 1 little trick is to trim say 5mm off 1 side of your foundation, you can do a few sheets at a time with a stanley and straight edge. No cleaning the slots and you can drop foundation straight in. Can also work quicker for new frame construction...Try a few and see how your bees deal with it

Hi Ian ... can you explain this bit again ?

so you trim the new foundation so it slides in a bit easier - is that it ?

Yes thats it, saves faffing around cleaning out grooves and then having to slide the sheet into wonky frames then getting p....off when you slide the wax down and hit a bit of wax you missed.

Yes thats it, saves faffing around cleaning out grooves and then having to slide the sheet into wonky frames then getting p....off when you slide the wax down and hit a bit of wax you missed.

nice one ... tbh I already do snip a bit off with scissors with some new frames if they are a bit pi55ed !

like you say once they are nail in they are pretty solid !

Tis what I do. I clean the frames up with the hive tool, melt and filter the wax, and trim the new foundation with a knife and pop it in.

When I make frames up in the Winter, and they are all made up now for the season ahead, I leave the bottom bar off. The one under the wedge bar is in, the outer one is out to assist slipping in the foundation then nail the wedge and then the 2nd bottom bar goes in.

PH

Back