Re-working soft set honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idg

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All, I made a batch of soft set honey back in August that I haven't managed to sell. I guess I have about 24 jars. The tops of the jars are beginning to crystalize which doesn't look that great in the jar.
My question is what is the best way to make this honey saleable. I seem to sell far more runny honey than set, but I still have plenty of that. Is there any way of reworking it, or changing it into a different product?
The honey is not particularly fine grained, but it is jarred and labelled. I have a honey warmer with fine control.
If you think warming should be part of the solution, then please advise temperature, and whether I should open the jars.
Thanks

Warm to 32 degrees C for 2 to 5 days in jars with lids on in warm air cabinet. ( water bath may damage labeling)
Then place jars in a cool dry place at around 11 to 14 degrees C ( outside or cool larder this time of year) to reset.

I have had problems with soft set ( some call it creamed) liquifying at the base if kept in too warm a place.

No problem once sold as the honey eaters devour a whole jar of my bees produce as soon as it is opened!

yeghes da

Warm to 32 degrees C for 2 to 5 days in jars with lids on in warm air cabinet. ( water bath may damage labeling)
Then place jars in a cool dry place at around 11 to 14 degrees C ( outside or cool larder this time of year) to reset.

I have had problems with soft set ( some call it creamed) liquifying at the base if kept in too warm a place.

No problem once sold as the honey eaters devour a whole jar of my bees produce as soon as it is opened!

yeghes da

Good advice, I've had some that didn't respond to the semi warm as it didn't reliquify at 30oC, so went for re-liquify at 45oC overnight and then allow to reset. Seems to work, but not as "soft" as the original set.

Selling honey in different regions you see many trends, one market I do they mainly want runny, another they want soft set. You seem to be in a"runny" area.

Maybe my soft set is not up to scratch!! I do have a taster jar on the stall.

Latest posts

Back