Making soft set honey from extracted OSR

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I normally store extracted OSR in buckets and leave to set hard then use the dyce method to make soft set honey.
Has anyone tried making soft set this way but from immediately extracted honey before it’s set?

If you have osr you don’t need the dyce method osr is fine enough. I extract and filter into buckets. Allowing to set the first time in buckets reduces frosting in my experience. Then simply melt to a double cream consistency stir over the next day or 2 and jar just before it becomes to thick to be a pain.

The past week I've done too many buckets but this time I took the easy route. I mixed seed onto the newly extracted runny honey, and stirred it on and off using one of these for a day or so. The I jarred much of it before it was too thick. I also warmed a couple of buckets yesterday to the point where it would flow. The result is silky smooth white soft set - I'm really happy with the result, with no messing with melting solid buckets for the Dyce method.

The past week I've done too many buckets but this time I took the easy route. I mixed seed onto the newly extracted runny honey, and stirred it on and off using one of these for a day or so. The I jarred much of it before it was too thick. I also warmed a couple of buckets yesterday to the point where it would flow. The result is silky smooth white soft set - I'm really happy with the result, with no messing with melting solid buckets for the Dyce method.
My best drill gave up the ghost last autumn using a paddle I think I need to get a proper plastering drill ,normal drills are not made to be used with a paddle .
What drill did you use?

My best drill gave up the ghost last autumn using a paddle I think I need to get a proper plastering drill ,normal drills are not made to be used with a paddle .
What drill did you use?
Most good makes will handle a paddle even the battery type’s. Honey is not as thick as most materials that require mixing.
I’d get a decent 240 sds Makita/dewalt you’ll need the additional chuck for the paddle and there not expensive.

Most good makes will handle a paddle even the battery type’s. Honey is not as thick as most materials that require mixing.
I’d get a decent 240 sds Makita/dewalt you’ll need the additional chuck for the paddle and there not expensive.
Funny enough it was a white/black makita sds the honey was a bit thick what happened I think I burnt the bushes out , I wondered about replacing them ?

Those white/black are made for the diy stores and are crap…….sorry😂..you can get spare brushes online

Interesting, I don't find people are very keen on the soft set honey in our experience they prefer runny, what are your experiences?

Just checking that I've got this right. As it's my first attempt at soft set. I've done two buckets first as an experiment. It's most definately OSR honey as they literally drop out of their front door onto 100 acres.
Extracted when mostly capped @ 17% on average and filtered straight into buckets.
I left it a few days and it started to crystallize but before it got to the too solid stage, I used the stainless paddle I bought while in Prague.
I've beaten it a few times a day and it's now glossy white, with much finer crystals, though you can still feel them on your tongue.

Next step? Do I just jar straight away, that would take some time as it's quite thick unless I beat it again.
Or do I just warm a little, of as I've read here, melt till its runny and allow it to set itself again. Just a bit confused, I'm in no real hurry, just want to get it right before I do the rest.
Whatever, it tastes divine.New video by mark norman

Attachments

• IMG_20230620_162228_5.jpg
    IMG_20230620_162228_5.jpg
    628.9 KB · Views: 1
I don't find people are very keen on the soft set honey in our experience they prefer runny, what are your experiences?
my sales are about one third set and two thirds runny. I find that people 'don't like' it because it's not made available on the shelf. Once it's there it's surprising how much sells.

I find crystallisation of OSR variable. Sometimes just beating with a paddle is enough. I prefer not to feel any crystals on the tongue, so if they remain after churning over a couple of days, I will liquefy completely and then seed, allow to set and churn.

Me Again ..:rolleyes:
Just done all the above, added the seed, used the paddle gently a couple days, I know its got a few degrees colder in last couple days, but its gone quite stiff/hard again. Like butter that's been in the fridge, still wonderfully smooth though. Going to warm very gently, divide into two and seed another couple of buckets, I take it that once I've done this again, I can warm slightly and then jar?
Just a bit surprised quite how hard its gone so quickly.

Think thats a cue for lots of oooh matroning :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As above again. I've now got two buckets, they've gone solid again, can just about scrape it with a spoon, and it's lovely and smooth to taste, but quite hard. Am I doing something wrong? 🙄

As above again. I've now got two buckets, they've gone solid again, can just about scrape it with a spoon, and it's lovely and smooth to taste, but quite hard. Am I doing something wrong? 🙄
I went to a talk this year, specifically about osr honey. the mwthid described is as follows:

Extract the osr, filter and leave in a bucket to go hard.

Warm to 35' then break up with a paddle drill at slow speeds.

Put into jars

slowly cool to room temperature and store around 14'

In my experience both stirring and a good seed are needed for a consistent, acceptable texture, otherwise the result varies from year to year

I went to a talk this year, specifically about osr honey. the mwthid described is as follows:

Extract the osr, filter and leave in a bucket to go hard.

Warm to 35' then break up with a paddle drill at slow speeds.

Put into jars

slowly cool to room temperature and store around 14'
Repeated stirring over a couple of days works for me.

Latest posts

Back