Marbling in soft set honey.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing whatsoever to do with air bubbles. Dani is right, combination of not stirring it in properly to ensure an even mix and bottling it too early.
Often confused with frosting which happens when the set honey contracts a little and comes away from the glass walls of a jar - a sign of good quality naturally crystalised hone (which is when it happens mostly) but frowned on a bit when showing.
How do you avoid frosting?

I wish I knew. I have quite a bit of soft set in 3b tubs. The odd one gets frosted. I warm it a little and it goes away. I suspect there is a little impurity somewhere that acts as a nidus for sugar settling out. Why do some jars from the same batch do it and others not?

I wish I knew. I have quite a bit of soft set in 3b tubs. The odd one gets frosted. I warm it a little and it goes away. I suspect there is a little impurity somewhere that acts as a nidus for sugar settling out. Why do some jars from the same batch do it and others not?
Scrape all the top layer of your buckets that will help I’ve found if I have more beekeepers honey on top of the buckets it seems to reflect in how much frosting you have, I’m sure temp and the mixing process has something to do with it to

Beekeepers honey is pretty pure glucose honey hence the white colour

no real way of doing so, not storing it in a cold place helps, so once the contents is well on it's way to setting, keep the honey at room temperature, or at least above 15°C

Scrape all the top layer of your buckets that will help I’ve found if I have more beekeepers honey on top of the buckets it seems to reflect in how much frosting you have, I’m sure temp and the mixing process has something to do with it to

Mine is jarred from the bottom via a tap.

Curly,
How did your soft set honey end up as far as frosting is concerned? (after the water bath/ jar treatment).
Did they frost or have you sold them all so don't know? 😁

I was under the impression that Beekeepers' honey is full of all the bits and pieces evading the sieve that float to the top during settling and white is the one thing it isn't. Why would glucose float to the top?

frosting is caused when the honey, on setting contracts and moves away from the walls of the glass jar.
'Marbling' is usually down to insufficient stirring of the honey as it sets, sometimes caused if the honey is bottled when it is in the final stages of setting.

Curly,
How did your soft set honey end up as far as frosting is concerned? (after the water bath/ jar treatment).
Did they frost or have you sold them all so don't know? 😁
No frosting at all on that batch also my heather soft set never frosts ever

That's promising and fab. Thanks Curly.
I did notice that some soft set that one of our shops had back in November has started to frost I still think beekeepers honey is mainly glucose .

Has anyone ever had there soft set honey tested for the types of sugar it has because you can have it tested

Latest posts

Back