Creating Soft-Set Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I’m slightly confused by the advice I’ve read on this. I have two big jars of honey taken off a few weeks ago. It has set solid (probably largely OSR). I also have some large jars of more recent honey which has not yet set.

I want to make soft-set honey and the advice I’ve found in the BBKA book speaks of warming the honey to liquid and then adding to warmed liquid honey a 'seed' of 10% of soft-set honey and stirring. So, if starting from scratch, where does that soft-set seeding come from? Sounds a bit like the chicken and egg conundrum to me...

I believe that a lot of bee keepers buy in a jar of soft set honey to act as the seed.

Many keep a batch of last year's honey as seed- in a cold room it's set hard by February.

Look beyond the Bbka as well
Everyone's got their way of doing it and woe betide you if you don't to it to their methods:mad:;)

No- just have a go and enjoy the journey- it's not that critical.

Try your OSR and your liquid as is.

I grind any proportion up to 50% seed in a pestle and mortar,filter in the warmed liquid honey through a supermarket nylon mesh fruit bag,then give it a good thrashing with an electric mixer.
Leave for a few hours,repeat,and once again.
Fill jars and apply liberally to hot toast.
I find you lose the sparkle of fresh honey by soft setting but have been told by people who buy honey from me - it's "Rolls Royce"
Swmbo won't go near liquid honey but chomps through our personal stash of S.S.

Reactions: Kaz
Here’s a nice little video from our own “rooftops” who was here years ago before he retired from beekeeping to explore the world.

Does anyone have any tips for warming honey to de-crystalise it prior to creaming? I've read that the temperature should be kept in the low 40s but, given the time it takes to melt a big jar, it's quite difficult to achieve that as a steady-state for some hours. How hot is bad?

I have a digital thermometer. But I find that manipulating the heat (Aga or induction hob) so that I can maintain a given temperature is very time-consuming.

I have a digital thermometer. But I find that manipulating the heat (Aga or induction hob) so that I can maintain a given temperature is very time-consuming.
I marked the knob and the dial with a queen marker so I just line up the two dots. Works well.

I’m slightly confused by the advice I’ve read on this. I have two big jars of honey taken off a few weeks ago. It has set solid (probably largely OSR). I also have some large jars of more recent honey which has not yet set.

I want to make soft-set honey and the advice I’ve found in the BBKA book speaks of warming the honey to liquid and then adding to warmed liquid honey a 'seed' of 10% of soft-set honey and stirring. So, if starting from scratch, where does that soft-set seeding come from? Sounds a bit like the chicken and egg conundrum to me...

Buy sufficient reputable soft set (not cheap supermarket stuff) and apply at least to a rate of10% to your own stored extracted honey. (remember to save some for making your own future soft set honey).

If you are being a purist you take some of your honey and grind it down bit by bit in a pestle and mortar till you have enough to set a couple of jars. Stick it in the fridge for a couple of days
Then set your honey and keep some back for your next lot. I’ve found I can use mine for the following year but after that it does get grainy and I have to start again. Alternatively Gales Spreadable does a perfectly good job.

Buy sufficient reputable soft set (not cheap supermarket stuff) and apply at least to a rate of10% to your own stored extracted honey. (remember to save some for making your own future soft set honey).
You need only one jar.

Back