radiator insulation for hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveG23

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lidl were selling rolls of the foil backed epe insulation for €4. Its about 5mm thick. I have cut out and stuck together x 5 squares to fit over a crown board as insulation, so that end up about about 2.5 cm thick.

Now I doubt the foil backing will do anything to reflect heat back in to the hive but hoping that there will be some insulating properties

Any thoughts on this, will it be thick enough to make any difference?

Has anyone tried similar?

Last edited:
Lidl were selling rolls of the foil backed epe insulation for €4. Its about 5mm thick. I have cut out and stuck together x 5 squares to fit over a crown board as insulation, so that end up about about 2.5 cm thick.

Now I doubt the foil backing will do anything to reflect heat back in to the hive but hoping that there will be some insulating properties

it will have an R value of about 4 per 2.5cm thickness plus a little add for the reflective surface PIR ( celloxtex or kingspan) R value is about 7-8 per 2.5cm , Wood about 1.5-1.7

so 5cm would be better but it would help

I find I can get more than enough celotex or king span by skip diving. Have a look round and see what's available.
Any insulation is better than none.

I now use bubble wrap. Loads in the fruit boxes at the supermarkets. Can be curled around fondant and feeders very easily and it does insulate well and it's free.

i am experimenting with a similar set up although the material i have isnt foil backed, its a bubble wrap type material used for packing very tough and wont fall apart,
i have just placed it on the top of the frames and refitted the crown board, there is a flap i cut in the center so i can feed if required, also its useful if i need to look inside, i just remove the cb and peel back the flap ,no disturbance to the bees, and the seal is not broken

Are ordinary polystyrene sheets suitable for insulating hives?

Had it happen myself and also with kingspan..

I tried making some dummy boards out of supposedly high density poly in my first year. You can guess how it ended.

Yes, as long as the bees cant access it. If they can theyll just chew it up.

Not unless they chew through the fondant wrapper!

Would 50mm of ordinary polystyrene be the same as Kingspan, in terms of insulation?

One of the advantages of using something designed for house building insulation is that that most of them are waterproof but they allow vapour to pass through albeit slowly, where plastics and plain foil don't.
Years ago I used good old pure wool blankets cut up to size, that also worked just fine.

So is that a yes or a no? :D

50mm of standard PIR (Kingspan or Celotex) would be very roughly the equivalent of about 75mm of good quality expanded polystyrene.

50mm of good quality expanded polystyrene would be very roughly the equivalent of about 35mm of standard PIR (Kingspan or Celotex) .

I see. Thanks for that.

What about these? Are these suitable? Would they be as insulating as Kingspan/Celotex?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Insulated-Quilts-for-National-Hives-/121204174512

i have been using the foam quilts for years thornes have them for less than £3.00, they seem to do the job and last a long time, also can be cut up and used for blocking up entrances,

the hive insulation seems to be a big thing at the moment, and what has to be remembered, the bees can survive far extreme temps that what we have in the uk, they dont heat the hive just the cluster, the biggest killer is condensation and damp

The foam quilts from Thornes etc look like squares of carpet underlay and so can be acquired flor free from friends and family from stuff left over after carpet fitting.

what has to be remembered, the bees can survive far extreme temps that what we have in the uk, they dont heat the hive just the cluster, the biggest killer is condensation and damp
Survive being the key word. As many of us who use poly hives with clear acrylic/perspex can testify, it's rare to see clustering except in extreme cold weather. Usually the bees are quite active and moving around the frames.
As they don't need to produce as much heat, as they would in a cluster, they use far less stores and seem (seem being the operative word) to come out of winter fitter and stronger.
Some call it mollycoddling, I just call it practical beekeeping. I want big strong hives in the spring.

Latest posts

Back