Question: What beekeeping vehicle would you advise for £2,500?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We've been a one-car couple for about 10 years. But with 10-14 hives in three apiaries 1-3 km from home, the family hatchback is increasingly unsuitable for transporting supers full of honey etc. I reckon I made £2,500 net profit from honey sales last year so I've decided to look for a second vehicle in which I can both store basic kit and carry bulky bee stuff. 4WD not necessary. Grateful for ideas.

still the odd landy about at that price if you look carefully. I thought abought it to long before Christmas and missed out on a 110 TD5, what put me off, it was on a Q reg and ex MOD FFR.

I've had 2 vans since I started this lark and to be honest they have been ideal. As long as you don't want to drive right up to the hives in the middle of winter the vans have been good as I drive across meadows to my hives during the summer but to ensure I don't have the embarrassment of getting bogged down in the middle of a field I can take a barrow during winter.
For the first couple of years I had an ex British gas Vauxhall combo until it died and now have a Citroen berlingo, both work well with a capacity of 6 hives with a shelving area for my gear.
In preference I'd have the Vauxhall but the Berlingo was a cheap option when I needed it.

If I could persuade the missus, I would go for a small van - split back door (ie one big and one small) with a sliding side door. Your can fit it out to your requirements for all those bits and bobs. Not sexy but very functional esp if you don't need 4WD

We have an old series II landrover - No tax. Easy to maintain if you want to. Shop carefully and you should find something in the price range, and a possibly new hobby.

If you don't consider a box trailer which has no appreciable running costs then as swarm suggested a Berlingo/kangoo type vehicle is practical and cheap.

When I started beekeeping I had a VW Transporter Combi van as part of my day job. It was excellent and now I don't have it. You could just about get the wheels for your £2500:(
Just bought a Suzuki Ignis for my son - with the back seats out it would be a good bee mobile and at £300 a snip!

OK .. this is a bit off the wall .. why spend that much - if it's just a beekeeping vehicle have a look at these:

Rover 75 Diesel estate 2.0 CD or CDTi. (I have two of them - motoring's best kept secret !). Underneath it's all BMW - good for 200,000 miles and more - cheap as chips, luxury motoring with loads of toys including aircon etc. Ignore the bad press they had - the diesel engine is bomb proof. Spares still readily available and nearly 40 mpg.

You take the back seat squab out and the rear seat backs fold down flat and you have a massive load area that will take a 14 x 12 with a super on in height and over 2.0m depth of load. A piece of thin ply on the deck instead of the carpet will allow them to slide about.

If you are prepared to look you can pick one up a good one with full history with 70,000 miles on it for about £1200 - £1500. There's no more deprciation and a whole lot more comfort and space than a small van and it won't have been thrashed to within in inch of its life by white van man.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Rov...125085?hash=item216d35381d:g:VCcAAOSwEX1dzrqf

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75...421902?hash=item216bf9504e:g:MWwAAOSwS89dwFKO

Last edited:
Any of the pick-ups. I have a L200 and wouldn't swop it for the world

We have an old series II landrover - No tax. Easy to maintain if you want to. Shop carefully and you should find something in the price range, and a possibly new hobby.

Possibility but only if you are prepared to be working on it every weekend!

Any of the pick-ups. I have a L200 and wouldn't swop it for the world ....
We had one Rust in Peace!

Had a series of the big version Suzuki Vitaras...... a possibility?
Now use a TD5 Defender.... but our little Suzuki Jimny goes anywhere the Landy can get to, with a little less panache!

Chons da

Why not buy a small trailer and fit a tow bar? A much cheaper option.

Also why have your hives so spread out? If a site cannot cope with 20 hives frankly its not that good.

PH

Toyota Hilux. Virtually indestructible (Top Gear failed to destroy one!!!!).

But £3k.

Decent old pickups at that price are rare as hens teeth, most wont get rid off them until there’s issues and are run into the ground.

Decent old pickups at that price are rare as hens teeth, most wont get rid off them until there’s issues and are run into the ground.

Yes... I got £2600 for my 52 Reg L200 four cab that had not been run for 6 months, had no MOT and the gearbox had gone ! Buyer came from Northampton to Fareham to collect it with a trailer.

Toyota Hilux. Virtually indestructible (Top Gear failed to destroy one!!!!).

But £3k.

Seconded - solid, dependable with off road capability if you need it (I do at one of the apiaries). Vehicle of choice for ISIS and others..!

Latest posts

Back