Question on stings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And as a bonus, the arthritis I had in one finger joint has gone...
...I always consider the odd sting as my annual anti-arthritis shot. Not a pleasure, but not a big deal either (I love a good tale from the old missus) :unsure:;)
[/QUOTE]
...I should add that I suffer from hayfever, so I'm constantly dosed with antihistamines...

After beekeeping for the last couple of years, I've received my share of stings and never had much of a reaction, even when I've had 2 or 3 in one go.
Last week, my worse nightmare happened. One sting on my fingertip resulted in immediate anaphylaxic shock. Within seconds I was unconscious and in respiratory failure. All I can say is thank god my son was there as I'm usually alone. I was in hospital for 2 days and came home with epipens and no idea how to safely continue (if I even can) with my beloved hobby.
This thread is a real wake-up call for me. Going to look up grid references of my apiaries, throw away failing veils rather than repair, whilst bearing in mind the advice of medics that we need a small number of stings each year to minimise onset of sudden anaphylaxis too!!

Y
This thread is a real wake-up call for me. Going to look up grid references of my apiaries, throw away failing veils rather than repair, whilst bearing in mind the advice of medics that we need a small number of stings each year to minimise onset of sudden anaphylaxis too!!
Yes, I noticed in an article the other day that the suggestion was that fewer than 10 stings a year for a beekeeper is a risk factor. Is that still the latest advice? If it is, covering up so well that we don't get those stings is a potential issue surely? ......or is it? Can anyone add any advice here please?

What Three Words is useful too

Y

Yes, I noticed in an article the other day that the suggestion was that fewer than 10 stings a year for a beekeeper is a risk factor. Is that still the latest advice? If it is, covering up so well that we don't get those stings is a potential issue surely? ......or is it? Can anyone add any advice here please?
Retired medics in my association say 7 stings is about the number we need per year. I’ll check when I see 2 of them this evening & report back

I bought 2 of their bee suits - a jacket and a full suit. Had them both for just under 3 years now. Never had a sting through the jacket or suit, works very well and also does keep you relatively cool in hot weather.

HOWEVER, both veils have failed. At the seams and also in the middle of the veil fabric. I wash them cold by hand. For a few weeks one season my SBI advised to fold the veil inside the jacket, zip it up and then run on a short gentle cycle. So don’t think this damaged the veils but I did revert to hand washing and from experience I always check the veils before using them

I contacted Castle and the first time they sent me a spare piece of material that I asked for and I repaired the veil on the suit. He offered me a veil but I fixed it without.

The failure of the jacket happened a while afterwards fairly recently (I use it much less). It failed in multiple places (6 or 7) even though I’d checked it before using it. I had multiple stings on my neck, fortunately none in my eyes or nose, v painful and I was very frightened at the time it happened.

I sent photos to Castle to advise it had happened again. Didn’t ask for anything, just for their comments and to say I felt they should review the veil material as in my view it’s not fit for purpose. I was concerned the material in the veil was still being used for new suits no other beekeeper should have my experience.

To date I haven’t had a reply. I will not buy another suit from them
I have Suit/jacket from castle hive farm. great except the veils are a disaster. Veils split. They did give me replacement veils but it's same veil material Veils are a web of Tec 7. If they could get the netting right they would have a great suit

I have a jacket from Castle Farm and have found it to be very good indeed, never been stung through it and only very minor issues with some of the seams - easily repaired. However the most important part - the veil material is decidedly 'iffy'. To date it has has not disintegrated but it is very difficult to repair satisfactorily when cracks develop where it gets folded.
Does any manufacturer actually make a robust veil these days?

The Old Castle Farm veil is made of kevlar, which put me off. In the days when I wore kevlar, it is sensitive to UV light and will break down. The kevlar I wore had a use by date and had a strength of 800 Newtons. I had 2 garments, one over the other making 1600 Newtons.

Y

Not sure about this. As I said in a previous post I am currently undergoing immunotherapy at allergy clinic. I was told that If you are allergic to bee venom reaction will get worse not better. I had been stung several times over the years on hands arm etc with localised reaction but one sting through my veil caused a serious reaction the end result being a trip to A&E by ambulance It only takes one sting if you are allergic!!

Y

Checked this with medics last night. You’re right, around 7 makes it a bigger risk factor. Best not to get stung at all is the only way to minimise risk.

Think many beekeepers feel that’s not realistic unless wear leather gloves but handling techniques and sensitivity to the bees, compromised. With good suit, veil, cuffs and undergarments very rare I have any stings other than hands.

Personally I wear nitriles when it’s mid summer and the bees are foraging fast. I wear thicker marigolds and occasionally thin goatskin leather with nitriles over, if I know the bees will be more defensive (queenless, sudden end to flow, poor weather but have to enter hive due to timings eg queen rearing).

I bought 2 of their bee suits - a jacket and a full suit. Had them both for just under 3 years now. Never had a sting through the jacket or suit, works very well and also does keep you relatively cool in hot weather.

HOWEVER, both veils have failed. At the seams and also in the middle of the veil fabric. I wash them cold by hand. For a few weeks one season my SBI advised to fold the veil inside the jacket, zip it up and then run on a short gentle cycle. So don’t think this damaged the veils but I did revert to hand washing and from experience I always check the veils before using them

I contacted Castle and the first time they sent me a spare piece of material that I asked for and I repaired the veil on the suit. He offered me a veil but I fixed it without.

The failure of the jacket happened a while afterwards fairly recently (I use it much less). It failed in multiple places (6 or 7) even though I’d checked it before using it. I had multiple stings on my neck, fortunately none in my eyes or nose, v painful and I was very frightened at the time it happened.

I sent photos to Castle to advise it had happened again. Didn’t ask for anything, just for their comments and to say I felt they should review the veil material as in my view it’s not fit for purpose. I was concerned the material in the veil was still being used for new suits no other beekeeper should have my experience.

To date I haven’t had a reply. I will not buy another suit from them
That's how we wash ours by tucking the veil on the suit and in the machine!

Retired medics in my association say 7 stings is about the number we need per year. I’ll check when I see 2 of them this evening & report back

Never heard about such 7 stings, we need.
Mostly people get 1-2 stings per summer when they step over a bee in flower. What happens to them?

Never heard about such 7 stings, we need.
Mostly people get 1-2 stings per summer when they step over a bee in flower. What happens to them?
I was wrong about this, got it mixed up with the fact that around 7 stings is the worst number to get in a season for a beekeeper. My medic beekeeping friends say this is about the number that could trigger heightened sensitivity to future stings thereby triggering anaphylaxis in a regular beekeeper, which is how this thread started.

the fact that around 7 stings is the worst number to get in a season for a beekeeper. My medic beekeeping friends say this is about the number that could trigger heightened sensitivity to future stings thereby triggering anaphylaxis.
This just sounds like a heap of make believe tripe to me to be honest.
So is OK if you get eight or more?
And is six just a little bit less severe? :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

I was wrong about this, got it mixed up with the fact that around 7 stings is the worst number to get in a season for a beekeeper. My medic beekeeping friends say this is about the number that could trigger heightened sensitivity to future stings thereby triggering anaphylaxis in a regular beekeeper, which is how this thread started. I clarified it in a slightly later post. You were right to pick me up on this!!

It depends on beekeeper. I stand well 70 stings in a day, and my fried must be carefull, if he gets 1 sting. He must wait, does he goes to hospital of does he take medicine.

It cannot be such rule like 7 stings.

I can get 5 stings to my face, and the face does not swell. But ovet 5 stings make me swell like in old days.

When I started beekeeping, 1 sting made my face to swell.

This just sounds like a heap of make believe tripe to me to be honest.
So is OK if you get eight or more?
And is six just a little bit less severe? :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

I think that it has meaning too, how fast you get the sting from skin away with knife edge or does the sting pump all venom under the skin.

Latest posts

Back