Queen Marking

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustAddBees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
Hi All,

After 10 weeks I've yet to spot my queen. I'm not too worried at the moment but recognise that there are times when I may need to identify her in the future. This would of course be easier if she was marked. I am wondering what method people would advise. I try to keep my beekeeping simple so am considering a simple press in cage but am not sure if this would be very successful on natural unsupported comb.

Of course, I need to spot her first, but want to be prepared if I do see her!

Thanks, Sam

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I HATE crowns of thorns. I much prefer the plunger type of cage if you have to use an accessory. Best thing is to practice on drones and when you have the courage pick her up. She is much more robust than you imagine

I HATE crowns of thorns. I much prefer the plunger type of cage

Funnily enough - I have the opposite view - chasing the queen around, getting her into the plunger, then worrying about pushing the plunger too hard - with a crown of thorns, just place it over the queen, the workers then clear out, gently press down to trap the queen (exactly the same as you would with a plunger but less chance of slipping/pressing too hard/not presswing hard enough). mark queen, ease off the crown so the queen can move around in the cage to dry, lift the cage and away she goes - never having left the comb.
Can't see a big problem doing that with a TBH but I would advise it being a two person job (one holding the comb vertical and steqady) or utilising a frame holder.

Pick her up by wings gently with ungloved hand.. after a gentle spray with Warm rosemary water.. over your hands too to mask odour... or use a queen lip catcher.. place her in a plastic bag.
IN A SAFE PLACE ie car with windows closed let her crawl onto your hand, grasp her by legs and mark her ( watch out for squiggly squirty uniposca pens!) good idea to clip one wing at same time... mind out for back legs!... put her back in queen clip catcher and return her to colony.

Seen a lot of damage and lost queens using all these gizmos for queen catching and marking!

Yeghes da

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. My reason for considering the press in cage is because in my mind it reduces the need to handle the queen or remove her from the comb, therefore reducing any risk of losing her and minimising disruption/stress (to queen/bees/me). Definitely need to build myself a frame stand though, would be very handy for all sorts.

Definitely need to build myself a frame stand though, would be very handy for all sorts.

no.... have heard a few horror stories of frames being knocked over with queenie on, loosing her in the grass

simply lay the frame down on top of the open hive, if she drops off anywhere, it's back into the hive

Best is to gently catch her by the wings and let her grip the tip of the forefinger of the other hand. Gently steady her thorax between your thumb and second finger and mark her. You can also clip her that way if you want. Do this over the hive - if you drop her she will drop on top of the frames.

Scary at first but you will soon learn. Practice on some drones. (In a different colour). It is a good thing to be able to do - you never know when you need to catch a queen unexpectedly.

The gadgets all waste time and you still need to press her down somehow to keep her still. All to often she wiggles and ends up with her wings or head full of ink or paint.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks Bloseeu, and that's a good point Dexter

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I use. crown of thorns and frame holder for my TBH. I am happy to pick up a queen, but if only marking her prefer to leave her on the comb.

Back