Marking the queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello, I've just been into my hives to do the weekly inspection and managed to spot the queen on a brood frame. I had a push in cage handy so I managed to trap her and another four or five bees too.
I used a queen marking paint pen but when I went to get it onto her thorax more than expected came out and some went on her wings and legs.
I let her go immediately in the hopes the workers will clean some of the excess from her while still wet.
Was this the right thing to do?
I'm worried she'll go off laying or worse 😟

Only time will tell i'm afraid. I imagine as the paint hardens it will restrict the use of her legs and the bees will sense there is something wrong and replace. Fingers crossed though. I tend to dip a blade of grass into non toxic acrylic paint that I use for models when i mark queens. F

Fingers crossed though!

Simon

She will probably be ok.
You’ll be surprised how often the bees will just clean her up.
Tip about crown of thorns. Place it over her but don’t push in till all the bees round her have moved away. ALWAYS prime the marker and dot it about on the hive stand a few times.

Hello, I've just been into my hives to do the weekly inspection and managed to spot the queen on a brood frame. I had a push in cage handy so I managed to trap her and another four or five bees too.
I used a queen marking paint pen but when I went to get it onto her thorax more than expected came out and some went on her wings and legs.
I let her go immediately in the hopes the workers will clean some of the excess from her while still wet.
happened to me loads of times, sometimes they've been absolutely slathered in it - never been an issue so far

Tip about crown of thorns. Place it over her but don’t push in till all the bees round her have moved away.

Having managed it only once, yesterday, this seems like a really good way to do it. I moved a few bees away with my finger so I could see what I was doing and then dropped it over the queen without pushing down at all. After that it went astonishingly easily: workers escaped through the sides and then I could very gently press it down until she stopped moving about.

James

I had the same issue earlier in the year due to runny Posca pen paint but she's not shown signs of slowing down. Quite the opposite I think!
Good Luck
Roberto

happened to me loads of times, sometimes they've been absolutely slathered in it - never been an issue so far
like JBM

happened to me loads of times.....queens covered but never been a problem....now i use a bottle with a nail brush, much easier i find

I'll just pray to the bee gods then. Will see next week I guess 🙏🤞🙏🤞
As Dani said, prime the pen first by dabbing it till paint flows freely. I suspect most people who mark their queens have done this.

I was once warned that the smell of the paint as it dries can cause issues for the queen, but I've never had any problems, maybe that was paint from years gone by. I suspect your Q will be fine.

Wait till you get one that faints on you - or at least plays dead. I nearly left one out of the hive when it happened to me. Used a push up marking cage, put paint on Q. Pulled the plunger back and she was stiff as a board. I was convinced I'd crushed her. In disbelief I left her on the top of the frames, put the roof back on and went onto inspect another hive, but returned after and there she was walking across the frames happy as Larry. Everyday's a school day.

Tell yours its her coronation costume 🤪

Please be aware that the COT device can easily dissect a queen for you. I was told a long time ago to practice catching drones by the wing. Then learn to mark them but to FIRST dab the marker pen or wipe the brush so that its ready to just put a dot on. Either use a different colour for the drones or kill them to avoid confusion. Then once you feel confident tackle queens. It's a skill you will never lose and it will enhance your beekeeping.

PH

be aware that the COT device can easily dissect a queen for you
I think you would have to be pretty clumsy and heavy handed to have that happen - unless you use a lump hammer to tap the COT in to the comb

As Dani said, prime the pen first by dabbing it till paint flows freely. I suspect most people who mark their queens have done this.
i did this, primed it nicely, then marked the queen, and a huge blob fell on her. The bees have cleaned off most of it, but she does have a shadow of green all over her. Doesn’t seem to have put her off laying. Never happened before, but I now do another check of the pen - and hasn’t happened since.

Latest posts

Back