How to reintroduce the Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drawn under the emergency response
Although QCs of any sort can result in swarming, my instinct says that at this time in the season the bees' intention is to replace the queen and no more. Peak risk of swarming is long gone.

However, reducing to one does give certainty. Another option for Paul (next time): rather than cull the 19, he could have made up couple of nucs with the best.

Although QCs of any sort can result in swarming, my instinct says that at this time in the season the bees' intention is to replace the queen and no more. Peak risk of swarming is long gone.

However, reducing to one does give certainty. Another option for Paul (next time): rather than cull the 19, he could have made up couple of nucs with the best.
Luckily I did make up 2 additional nucs with the best-looking QCs. So, we'll see what that brings.
Any idea how good virgin queens are at navigating wasp muzzles? As, I put them on each of the nucs - we have wasp issues here.

matters not a jot, they will swarm just as easily if there are enough bees in there.
You may be fairly safe with a nuc, but with a full brood box.......
A bit too much obsession with putting labels onto Queen Cells - stemming from the usual corner probably
No, I'm not obsessed with labelling queen cells, but in this case the cells were drawn when the colony lost their queen - so the impulse is clear.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that the bees might decide to swarm because they have now drawn all these cells, even though there was no sign of swarming before - as if, having created this resource, they now want to put it to full use!

Till now, I've made a point of not reducing cells to one, except as part of swarm control.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that the bees might decide to swarm because they have now drawn all these cells, even though there was no sign of swarming before
yes

might decide to swarm because they have now drawn all these cells, even though there was no sign of swarming before
Bees are infinitely variable and though I would assume supersedure at this time of year, it's never a good idea to give bees options. In the real world, looking into an open hive, the best that can be done is to give a practical response to a guesstimate of intent. This fluid game of uncertainty is part of the pleasure of beekeeping, always learning and often one step behind.

In short: yes, they might.

how good virgin queens are at navigating wasp muzzles?
I'd imagine that a virgin would make location flights and log the details of whatever entrance she had before her. Main thing is to remember not to change the visuals in that vicinity for a month (or make changes before she's out and about).

Last edited:
Bees are infinitely variable and though I would assume supersedure at this time of year, it's never a good idea to give bees options. In the real world, looking into an open hive, the best that can be done is to give a practical response to a guesstimate of intent. This fluid game of uncertainty is part of the pleasure of beekeeping, always learning and often one step behind.

In short: yes, they might.
Very well put! Thank you.

Latest posts

Back