Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

gmonag 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
6 Rose Hives
Yes. The rationale is that the winter bees are more important than the late summer bees and will not be affected by varroa.
As I understand it

beeno 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
The practice of brood destruction, whether worker or drone, reminds me of the old-fashioned practice of blood-letting. All it does is weaken the patient.
I had the same idea about blood-letting as you and it does weaken the patient, but it is now referred to as Venesection (Phlebotomy) and is still in use for blood disorders such as polycythemia vera.

elainemary 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Phoretic implies relatively harmless, taking a ride.
They are parasitic and cause the bees they are feeding on a lot of harm. You should listen to the whole of his lecture. It’s in the sticky section
Thanks Dani, have seen his lecture when he presented at the BBKA spring conference a couple of years ago, really good piece of work & an inspirational speaker. Need more researchers like him!

elainemary 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Yes proponents of this experiment seem to be ignoring this.
I asked about this on the evening directly to Ralph who advised July / beginning Aug is good timing to start the caging. I plan to start last week of July ahead of winter bee production from later in August though one can’t be specific about the exact timing this starts. Depends on colony genetics and your local climate. Most beekeepers start varroa chemical treatment (certainly in my area) later than this after the flow has finished.

elainemary 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
When a new idea comes along on this forum, most people will listen, consider the pros and cons with an open mind. They may even choose to adopt or try the new method, or not. All very good and proper.
Then there are those that dismiss it, usually with a few choice derogatory remarks about the creator. It is always the same ones, those with dogmatic arrogance, who can't stand the fact that "it was not invented here".
I like to keep an open mind and welcome constructive criticism as it helps identify issues I may not have thought of. I do think it would help to deliver concerns in a positive way.

drex 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I had the same idea about blood-letting as you and it does weaken the patient, but it is now referred to as Venesection (Phlebotomy) and is still in use for blood disorders such as polycythemia vera.
Yes, but in polycythaemia, they have too many red blood cells as a result of the disease, so blood letting makes sense, as opposed to destruction of brood

Swarm 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 30, less than 100.
I asked about this on the evening directly to Ralph who advised July / beginning Aug is good timing to start the caging. I plan to start last week of July ahead of winter bee production from later in August though one can’t be specific about the exact timing this starts. Depends on colony genetics and your local climate. Most beekeepers start varroa chemical treatment (certainly in my area) later than this after the flow has finished.
I would suggest observing your colonies, at that time, July/Aug, mine generally go into a brood break.

holmbee 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
I really think this is well worth trying on a couple of colonies this summer. I have discovered that the Italian queen cages are available from Thorne but are sold as QCC for £6.50. Saves the hassle of importing from the EU.

elainemary 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
I really think this is well worth trying on a couple of colonies this summer. I have discovered that the Italian queen cages are available from Thorne but are sold as QCC for £6.50. Saves the hassle of importing from the EU.
Yes I’m planning on trying on a couple of colonies. Found it v easy to import the cages, the supplier was v efficient and delivery came within a week but min order is 6 and I bought the queen catcher too. Here’s a pic of them in 2 frames. Will ‘acclimatise’ in the hives beforehand so they pick up the hive odours.

Attachments

holmbee 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Yes I’m planning on trying on a couple of colonies. Found it v easy to import the cages, the supplier was v efficient and delivery came within a week but min order is 6 and I bought the queen catcher too. Here’s a pic of them in 2 frames. Will ‘acclimatise’ in the hives beforehand so they pick up the hive odours.
Hi Elainemary
Did you have to pay additional VAT or Customs charges coming in from Italy?
Thanks, Michael

Last edited:

elainemary 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Hi Elainemary
Did you have to pay additional VAT or Customs charges coming in from Italy?
Thanks, Michael
Hi Michael
Works out about £4.10 a cage if you amortise the delivery charge across the 6 cages and queen catcher. Not sure about Vat, just came in the post & paid in advance via PayPal, as per invoice
Elaine

Last edited: