Queen cage - varroa management

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Varroa mites aren't phoretic. We used to think they were but Samuel Ramsey showed in his Phd work that varroa feed on the fat bodies of adult bees a couple of years ago.
Think Sam Ramsey showed varroa feed on fat bodies rather than haemolymph...I understand phoretic to mean varroa on adult bees (rather than in brood)

Think Sam Ramsey showed varroa feed on fat bodies rather than haemolymph...I understand phoretic to mean varroa on adult bees (rather than in brood)
Phoretic implies relatively harmless, taking a ride.
They are parasitic and cause the bees they are feeding on a lot of harm. You should listen to the whole of his lecture. It’s in the sticky section

I guess that putting a frame with all the sealed varroa from a full colony into a nuc with probably less than a quarter the number of bees couldn't have done them much good...
Indeed... but I couldn’t bring myself to destroy a full frame of brood...

I understand phoretic to mean varroa on adult bees (rather than in brood)

Yes, I agree. While that's not the dictionary definition of phoretic, it is what the term has come to mean to beekeepers. I think it's a bit late to come up with a new name, even though we all know that the mites aren't just hitching a ride.

Yes, I agree. While that's not the dictionary definition of phoretic, it is what the term has come to mean to beekeepers. I think it's a bit late to come up with a new name, even though we all know that the mites aren't just hitching a ride.
Agreed. While we now all (mostly) know that varroa are parasitic rather than truly phoretic, the term seems to have stuck. Even scientists working in the field use it (although often in inverted commas).

So it comes round again. OAV does no harm to the bees. So why not abandon the manipulation and simply vape?
Thus whole thing looks like something for a bored academic to do.IMO
I agree. It seems like a while lot of unnecessary messing the bees around. I appreciate the benefits of a brood break for helping to manage varroa levels but I'd prefer just to take advantage of a natural brood break whenever I can (AS, midwinter treatment, new swarm arriving etc.) and give them a quick OA vape at the optimal time. In my mind a few quick 2 min OA vapes that don't even require opening the hive are easily preferable (to me and hopefully the bees as well) than so much manipulation.

When a new idea comes along on this forum, most people will listen, consider the pros and cons with an open mind. They may even choose to adopt or try the new method, or not. All very good and proper.
Then there are those that dismiss it, usually with a few choice derogatory remarks about the creator. It is always the same ones, those with dogmatic arrogance, who can't stand the fact that "it was not invented here".

When a new idea comes along on this forum, most people will listen, consider the pros and cons with an open mind. They may even choose to adopt or try the new method, or not. All very good and proper.
Then there are those that dismiss it, usually with a few choice derogatory remarks about the creator. It is always the same ones, those with dogmatic arrogance, who can't stand the fact that "it was not invented here".
...............but it’s not new?

I killed all those 'baby bees' needlessly.

Yes, I put 9 frames like this in the freezer and later into the solar melter when i could have added them to a colony which I them treat. Seriously.

DSCF20200802-03-small.jpg

Grrrr!
I can't see how this technique can help adaptation of varroa resistance but I don't like using chemicals of any sort (I'm circling back from treatment free).
. . . . Ben

Last edited:
With more than a thousand queen right colonies of various configurations by mid-July....What did George Harrison say?
I got blisters on my fingers!
If you are running your apiaries sustainably you must be working harder than most other commercial beekeepers already. I take my hat off to you, sir!

The method the OP is talking about, and the one I am going to try this year does not involve killing any brood. You have to listen carefully to Buchler's presentation. He describes several options. The one that uses the Mozzato cage is best done in late July. No brood is sacrificed.
If it is the case that all the phoretic varroa damage the adult bees, whilst the colony is broodless, it seems that it does not matter, because the rationale of the method concentrates on the production of healthy winter bees.
I guess the cohort of varroa damaged August bees are going to be responsible for brooding the next generation of bees/winterbees.

Back