Queen cage - varroa management

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Phill. Not fussed either way. I prefer groups that are a little more open to the possibility of even thinking about new ideas. I know that is a Verrrry long stretch from the current group members. Never the less I beleive that new ways of thinking are important, despite how many dust old codgers don't want anyone to change beyond what they already know.

That said, I will always be a contributing member, regardless of a ban or otherwise.

Happy birthday for July by the way!
If you looked a bit deeper into my beekeeping and my posts on here you would find that I am the last person to knock different ways of keeping bees but you really don't need to be objectionable in your posts to make your points. You are seriously underestimating the amount of innovation, novel idea and forward thinking that have come from the threads on this forum over the last 14 years. If you can find a more open minded, under moderated, modern thinking forum than this one feel free ...and yes - in July I will be 74 so one of the 'old guard' in your estimation ...

If you looked a bit deeper into my beekeeping and my posts on here you would find that I am the last person to knock different ways of keeping bees but you really don't need to be objectionable in your posts to make your points. You are seriously underestimating the amount of innovation, novel idea and forward thinking that have come from the threads on this forum over the last 14 years. If you can find a more open minded, under moderated, modern thinking forum than this one feel free ...and yes - in July I will be 74 so one of the 'old guard' in your estimation ...
Acid test: is this thread a shining example of innovation and one mindedness? No, I didn't think so either.

In the 5 ish years I have been involved in this forum, I have seen so many newcomers jumped on and told basically "that's not the way we do it" despite having reasonable amd admirable approaches.

I have seen so many newnideas instantly shunned BEFORE anyone has tried or even understood them! (Point proven here)

What examples of innovation or open mindedness can you use as an example?

Poly hives - nope
Oxalic acid - nope
Brood breaks - nope
What about the recent uncapping tool - nope
Gasvap - nope
Flow hives - nope
Nope
Nope
Nope
Nope

Seriously, struggling to think of any! It's always the same. Dusty codgers don't like the change. They dismiss it and put it down. Those with a more modern outlook try it, sometimes it works sometimes nor, but at least they know first hand. In many cases, When things do work, you codgers do come around d and quietly adopt the new ideas.

Just observe at Telford last week. All the old dusties looked out of place. Replaced by new, younger generation in an industry being transformed by forward thinking people. Let's be honest, that's how the telford show was born and the old show dismissed and dissolved.

Anyone born shall we say near 1950 (recognise that year?) Is unlikley to have any intereating new ideas. Just look at the industry over the last 5 years. The time for you oldies is up, and running out fast!
Enlighten us, which year were you born?
I don't think you're as young as you'd like to make out.
I've never heard anyone blame anything on age quite so much as you do.

Enlighten us, which year were you born?
I don't think you're as young as you'd like to make out.
I've never heard anyone blame anything on age quite so much as you do.

And you wouldn't have heard that because you don't listen.

Alternatively, what other excuse do you have for putting down new ideas without even taking the time to understand them? If not age, just pig ignorance perhaps? Or how about sheer incompetence?

Ah shucks ... I had just put the popcorn in the poppaping and Dani's shorter fuse put paid to the entertainment ... he'll be back, watch this space :)

You understood about 1/5th of the process, omitted to read the remaining parts of the process and the 2 out of 3 options that do not require destroying brood.
I think that B+ has more bee breeding in his big toe than you will ever hope to gain.
Hey. Have you got out of the bed the wrong side today?
Give it a rest
he's only here to troll - yet to see a worthwhile contribution from them yet

I think that B+ has more bee breeding in his big toe than you will ever hope to gain.

he's only here to troll - yet to see a worthwhile contribution from them yet
He’s gone. He’s joined his previous incarnation similarly banned.

I find if I split at swarming time with a simple Pagden it is really easy to engineer both boxes with no capped brood then one oxalic vape is sufficient. Dead easy to do. I take every opportunity to vape a brood free colony.
Can you give more detail on the engineering process when carrying out Pagden?

Split all the brood away. In 24 days there will be no old sealed brood. The new queen is unlikely to have laid quickly enough for there to be new sealed brood
In the AS you have no brood at all so you can vape as soon as you want

Latest posts

Back