Q on H&S implications in selling own honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apkfjk

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi Everyone.

First year, first crop approx 65 jars - now I am not going to go through that lot on my own, so thoughts arose around selling it.

Are there any pointers you can suggest as to H&S risks that need to be addressed etc etc? (I know I would have to put my name and address on any labels, but thats about all I know)

Any suggestions would be welcomed

The BBKA has a leaflet on their website about legislation with regards to labelling.

Give it as presents/sell it to friends and proudly pronounce that it is 'freshly squeezed and complete with bees legs' ;-)

first crop approx 65 jars - now I am not going to go through that lot on my own,

That is only one jar per week and a few for friends/family. Assuming we are not talking huge jars here. So shouldn't be that many spare for sale!

Food hygiene regs is one area. Trading standards (weights and measures) is another, along with the labelling already mentioned - not particularly "elf'n'safety", but they can bite (Trading Standards).

RAB

Looked at the offerings in two local shops today: four sellers represented two quite big, one National but local IYKWIM.

Several label types were shabby but not quite illegible so probably ok but looked awful.

One had writing over a picture so semi-obscured. Bad.

The National but local range had the addie and best before on the tamper-proof seal. Now is that legal as it would likely be detached and thrown away before any problems arose? (Smacks of EID on sheep to me....hollow laugh).

The quite big local producer had jars with lids which didn't fit the jars properly (short on the screw thread), some not even on straight and no tamperproof seals. Looked terrible!

Looked at the offerings in two local shops today: four sellers represented two quite big, one National but local IYKWIM.

Several label types were shabby but not quite illegible so probably ok but looked awful.

One had writing over a picture so semi-obscured. Bad.

The National but local range had the addie and best before on the tamper-proof seal. Now is that legal as it would likely be detached and thrown away before any problems arose? (Smacks of EID on sheep to me....hollow laugh).

The quite big local producer had jars with lids which didn't fit the jars properly (short on the screw thread), some not even on straight and no tamperproof seals. Looked terrible!

Strangely enough, I was at a local farm shop today, and had a look at their honey offerings:

First one, was their own branded Honey. Nice presentation, until you read the label and see 'Made from a blend of EU and Non-EU honey'. Instantly put me off, and makes me think, its not theirs (they don't have any hives anyway, so why brand as their own????)

Next, was a jar from a large ish local company. Label looks like a 1960's LSD trip. Couldn't make anything out, as text to small, other than weight.

Third was a jar of OSR, With more marbling than an Italian Marble supplier. Label had 'Local Honey' 'Name address' and 'weight'. That was it. On a label that wasn't on straight.

The forth goes had OK ish label, but lot and BBE on separate label at back. Goes out of date in Nov 2011.

None had tamper proof seals, and all were available for £4.30 a jar :eek:

For the OP, have a look at this thread:
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12320&highlight=label+regs

We should strive to get this right as, directly or indirectly, this sort of exposure can do much to influence the reputation of 'home-grown' beekeeping as opposed to the muck that is on sale in the average supermarket. Bet their labels are spot on!

apetc...

whatever you do, don't follow the EU labelling requirements - that's just for honey flavoured syrup imported via Eastern Europe.

Be creative in saying that it's local, put the weight in lbs / ozs and include your email/tel for re-ordering.

Back