Problem with thymol pre-mix

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhook

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Emulsified thymol pre mix.

30g thymol crystals placed in honey jar,add 5ml of isopropyl alcohol to the crystals,place jar into a water bath of boiling water to speed up the dissolving process.
In another jar pour in 140 ml of boiling water and add 1 teaspoon of lecithin granules, stir well,and place this jar into a water bath of boiling water,stirring often for abot ten minutes or so until most of the lecithin granules have dissolved,you can then strain this mixture through a teastrainer or similar to remove any granules that have not dissolved fully,then simply add the dissolved thymol to this mix,and shake well,will look just like a jar of milk.
To use add 5ml to each gallon of syrup and stir well,syrup will go milky,unlike when using the old original mix.
If the mixture forms any crystals at a later date,tip into old small pan and reheat,do this outdoors.

Above is Hivemaker's thymol mix for syrup. I've made it in the past with no problems- a bit of crystallisation after months of storage.

It's now crystallizing almost as soon as I make it. I made one batch which went lumpy, I strained it and I think strained out the thymol. I made a second batch on Saturday which I was happy with- completely liquid. Just gone to use it now and it's set in the jar.

Its the same tub of lecithin I used last year, that part still seems ok. The thymol is a new batch from thorns- I can't remember who my last lot was from, I think it may have been payns. I'm wondering if its the alcohol. I'm using surgical spirit which I did last year, but a different bottle. This is a mixture of ethyl and methyl alcohol, which I believe is standard in the UK.

I see one can buy isopropyl alcohol as a cleaning fluid eg for electronics- would this be better? The thymol dissolves in the alcohol on heating, but seems to recrystallise on cooling.

Help!

You NEED Iso Propyl Alcohol.... cake shops sell it for mixing up food colourants... or on fleaBuy

some alcohols are more equal than others!

ethanol (C2H5OH0 and methanol (CH3OH) are different to IPA (CH3)2 CHOH ?

Last edited:
I have used surgical spirits from the local chemist with no problems, I don't think it matters which you use they both do the same. they are just a alcohol carrier to dissolve the thymol.

Taken from the original recipe

If the mixture forms any crystals at a later date tip into old small pan and reheat do this outdoors.

I had the crystals last year and simply placed the jar with the mix into a bowl of warm water and they dissolved

I've done this, and they do: but re-form within a few hours, like ice on a pond. It means I have a short period when I can use it, but it doesn't give me a lot of confidence that they're not re-forming in the syrup.

doesn't give me a lot of confidence that they're not re-forming in the syrup

Once the very small amount of thymol is dispersed throughout the large mass of syrup , any dissolution of thymol would be almost colloidal so would separate very, very slowly. It will also be loosely bound to the emulsifying agent which in turn will be loosely bound to the aqueous phase. So once formed it remains as a stable emulsion - like the Heinz salad cream does not separate to any great extent over prolonged storage.

My good half bought me some lecithin from the health shop but it was capsule form rather than the granules. I figured I could just split them open and use the liquid inside to emulsify the thymol mix - is that okay do you think ?

I have used surgical spirits from the local chemist with no problems, I don't think it matters which you use they both do the same. they are just a alcohol carrier to dissolve the thymol.

:iagree:
I haven't had any problem using surgical spirit

I use meths with no issues.

I use meths with no issues.

And I've even met someone that uses it for dissolving Thymol ... :)

In principal, one might even use veg oil as the Thymol solvent. But using alcohol (and as little as possible) seems to be a proven way to go.

I wonder if the recrystallisation that some are reporting might be due to some of the alcohol evaporating off, and making the Thymol solution super-saturated?
A really well-sealed lid on a small jar would minimise that problem.

My good half bought me some lecithin from the health shop but it was capsule form rather than the granules. I figured I could just split them open and use the liquid inside to emulsify the thymol mix - is that okay do you think ?

I can't see it being a problem, but I haven't tried it.
What else is inside the (gelatin) capsules? Check the ingredient listing!

I can't see it being a problem, but I haven't tried it.
What else is inside the (gelatin) capsules? Check the ingredient listing!

The ingredients just say gel capsule (and the gelling agent in it) followed by lecithin.

Brown gungy stuff that went a bit milky when mixed with the thymol in isoprop.

Its gone in anyway !

Just for info.
I've just checked a mix of Thymol + surgical spirit mixed this time last year,and it's still 100% liquid.
Tim :)

In principal, one might even use veg oil as the Thymol solvent. But using alcohol (and as little as possible) seems to be a proven way to go.

I would not give this a go as vegtable oil and water don't mix where as the small chain alcohols do which is kind of critical if you are going to dissolve things.

I would not give this a go as vegtable oil and water don't mix where as the small chain alcohols do which is kind of critical if you are going to dissolve things.

Surgical spirit contains castor oil and without the addition of the lecithin it wouldn't mix with water. the lecithin is added to emulsify the thymol solution so it DOES mix with water

Surgical spirit contains castor oil and without the addition of the lecithin it wouldn't mix with water. the lecithin is added to emulsify the thymol solution so it DOES mix with water

Don't understand your point. Was simply saying using veg oil is a complete non-starter in my book.

Yes clearly the Hivemaker recipe works as many hundreds of people use it successfully.

Back