Possible Problem with Apiguard ... please read this

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that a joke !!

You are off my Christmas card list for giving out that advice..

no it's not a joke, I haven't time to duplicate everything here, sorry I started it, I thought I might get some help here but I haven't.

Surely everyone on here is in the BBKA??

two-thirds of UK beekeepers are not members........:hurray:

This forum reaches a great many more of them than the aforementioned!

no it's not a joke, I haven't time to duplicate everything here, sorry I started it, I thought I might get some help here but I haven't.

Surely everyone on here is in the BBKA??

I'm sorry but if you can't be botherd to copy and paste from the BBKA post. Then why bother coming here.:rant:

There is history of that site and this one.

Sorry for the rant. :)

I'm not a member of that site. I don't understand what help you require. Seems like you've done everything you can......I thought it was a friendly warning, not a request for advice. Maybe I have read the post wrong.

Apilife var - is it too noxious for bees?

Having used Apilife var for two weeks, I removed the boards under both hives today to give them some air as it was so hot .... Many varroa were present. I counted them carefully on the hive with the lesser amount and got over 500 - so it is doing the job. It stresses the bees so much though, that I was considering abandoning the treatment - the queens have stopped laying and the colony have been tearing open the brood. Also - when I put the fresh pieces of AV in - the front on the hive is covered with bees for the day..... but the treatment is clearly working on the varroa so should I persevere?

persevere.

bees outside the hive are just getting a breath of fresh air and/or trying to improve ventilation.

re tearing out brood - 500+ drop is fairly heavy infestation - perhaps the bees are sensing dead mites? what stage of brood are they tearing down? during capping?

It has been hot up here today....hotter than all summer.
I use ALV with no problem but perhaps it might be prudent to leave the inspection tray out in these temperatures or maybe use only half a tablet?

They are making holes in some of the capped brood - haven't actually seen them pulling out the larvae - but looking into the opened cells, the larvae all look plump and healthy... what do you mean by 'sensing the dead varroa'? (your advice is much appreciated - I will persevere!)

They are making holes in some of the capped brood - haven't actually seen them pulling out the larvae - but looking into the opened cells, the larvae all look plump and healthy... what do you mean by 'sensing the dead varroa'? (your advice is much appreciated - I will persevere!)
Are you sure they are uncapping rather than capping ?
VM

Leaving out the tray in this hot weather is a good idea, thanks. I guess I have already established that there is a heavy infestation...

Leaving out the tray in this hot weather is a good idea, thanks. I guess I have already established that there is a heavy infestation...
Cells are capped on day 9 , they are are no longer getting any food via the nurse bees, their job is to spin a cocoon and then metamorphosise I take it you've seen pearly larvae which could be in the throes of being capped ?
VM

howsabout repeating it here for those of us who choose not to/are unable to use the BBKA forum?:biggrinjester:

:iagree:

I think I am a member of aforementioned organization.....

..... "they" have a website and a forum?....... well I never!

will I be blackballed now by "them" for mentioning that?

Fortunately my bees have not shown any signs of reaction to either Apiguard or Apilife VAR, I have used both.... and followed the instructions as given!

No massive drop of varroa either................

No - these are definitely being uncapped/chewed open - and its not larvae that can be seen inside but immature adults - sorry if I gave the wrong description..

No - these are definitely being uncapped/chewed open - and its not larvae that can be seen inside but immature adults - sorry if I gave the wrong description..

I have noticed the same on some of my hives, they are now nearing the end of the second treatment.
I noticed the same thing during the first treatment as well...
I didn't have the problem last year using the single packs, but this year i'm using it from a bucket...

Latest posts

Back