Possible Problem with Apiguard ... please read this

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No - these are definitely being uncapped/chewed open - and its not larvae that can be seen inside but immature adults - sorry if I gave the wrong description..

do they look anything like this?

1-1.jpg

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13775

I was shown quite a lot of cells that looked rather like the cell about 2 o'clock, 3 in from the edge. Central part of the cap gone.
Varroa so heavy SBI suggested something like Apistan rather than Thymol-based as a one-off. They were mid-treatment IIRC.

that one is an emerging bee.

the subject of the photo is slap bang centre

that one is an emerging bee.

the subject of the photo is slap bang centre
That's not what I was shown.
But lots, 50% of the capped brood on some frame sides {I estimate from memory}, of part-opened caps.
And a vast number of deformed wings ...

They start forming the eyes behind the cappings don't they, so you shouldn't see them at this stage. Am I correct? What could the cause of them doing this be? Other than destroying the odd one or two they aren't happy with. Is it a bad varroa infestation? I'm asking because mentor didn't treat with oxalic this year so the only treatment they've had is last years ALV and a bit of Hive Clean so I'm on the look out for signs, other than deformed bees and tray bits. I know these things would tell me what I want to know but I want to learn ALL the signs.

ive had the same problem using apiguard from a bucket,brood being ripped for 5 days,
covering landing board in front of entrance,so i am now using a half dose weekly instead of fortnightly and it seems to work just as well but without brood being destroyed

ive had the same problem using apiguard from a bucket,brood being ripped for 5 days,
covering landing board in front of entrance,so i am now using a half dose weekly instead of fortnightly and it seems to work just as well but without brood being destroyed

are you on standard brood boxes and solid floor or on OMF

AND pleased to welcome you to the forum

im using national brood and half and omf,but am considering using 14x12 or commercial.national brood is too small.
about apiguard buckets,im sure i read somewhere that the scoop is over 50ml
which could lend some explanation to so much brood being ripped,slight overdose maybe.
if anyone is any the wiser,please let me know.
oh yeah,im from ammanford

im using national brood and half and omf,but am considering using 14x12 or commercial.national brood is too small.
which could lend some explanation to so much brood being ripped,slight overdose maybe.
oh yeah,im from ammanford[cwmgors]

the Apiguard FAQ suggest for Brood and half on top of frames and half between brood and brood super

i seen brood removal when a scoop is added to a standard , but a scoop is the recommend amount for an american hives which are larger

BUT then again apiquard FAQ imply a standard tub is too low a concenrtation on larger hives!!!!

Last edited:

very close then - still got family in Cwmgors and GCG (another beekeeper)

the Apiguard FAQ suggest for Brood and half on top of frames and half between brood and brood super

i seen brood removal when a scoop is added to a standard , but a scoop is the recommend amount for an american hives which are larger

BUT then again apiquard FAQ imply a standard tub is too low a concenrtation on larger hives!!!!

i have used apiguard between boxes using an eke but after a fortnight,the
two boxes are usually stuck together which takes a lot more time cleaning
up the brace comb.maybe i should try a larger eke,mine are only 25mm

i have used apiguard between boxes using an eke but after a fortnight,the
two boxes are usually stuck together which takes a lot more time cleaning
up the brace comb.maybe i should try a larger eke,mine are only 25mm

i have only seen it thinly spreed on greaseproof paper or foil in the bee space between the boxes, others on Brood and half may be able to help

Latest posts

Back