Possible problem after AS

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 national
Hi All

We did a AS on Sunday 26th, this evening I noticed that the entrance to the hive on the original site (Q+) was completly blocked by the bees. they have formed a barrier with thier bodies and have left a small entrance for entry/exit.
The hive contains in the brood box a frame of brood in all stages two frames of stores, nine frames of foundation. Above the brood box a Q excluder And above that a super 75% full of honey. The temp at the site peaked today at 28C in the shade. Any ideas whats going on?

Cheers
Bryan

take the entrance block out did this with 2 of mine today as so many bees in and out

Last edited:
Perhaps the bees are trying to reduce the entrance themselves so that it is easier to defend?

were they just fanning in the entrance to cool the hive? Never seen bees use their bodies to block up the entrance usually just guard bees there.

if I read your original post correctly, you've got 1 frame of bees, 2 of stores, 8 frames of foundation in a brood box, with a super above it?

take off the super, remove the frame of bees and frames of stores into a nuc box, dummied out with foundation. asap.
or the lot will probably perish

dont forget all the flying bees will return to that bb

HI Tonybloke
Remember, I carried out an AS , as per advice from this forum. We also shook 2 frames of "house bees" into hive to keep HM and brood frame warm. The frame of brood was also covered with bees. The original hive was very strong/large with a lot of foragers. There are definatley too many bees in this hive for a nuc. Tomorrow I will take the super of as per your advice. Thanks again for quick replies.
Bryan

We did a AS on Sunday 26th

Couldn't understand the date? April - no, March- no. Or is this tomorrow?

Pleeese, let us start with the correct day of the A/S and go from there.

Sorry again o90o
Sunday 26th May 2012 completed at 3.20pm
BY the way o90o your comment of "Or is this tomorrow" IS there any need to be this sarky?

A quick calender check would have shown that March and April did not hane a Sunday that fell on the 26th nor did January but February did!

Last edited:
Could they just be hot? Enormous hives here are crowding the landing board all day every day...

Veg re post no 5
They were not fanning they had formed a solid mass blocking the entrace except for a small loosley formed gap towards the center of the entrance area. Possably as BB53 in post no 4 suggests to make it easier to defend as we gave them half a litre of 1 to 1 sugar syrup to encourage them to draw out the comb.
Bryan

if I read your original post correctly, you've got 1 frame of bees, 2 of stores, 8 frames of foundation in a brood box, with a super above it?

take off the super, remove the frame of bees and frames of stores into a nuc box, dummied out with foundation. asap.
or the lot will probably perish
please ignore post, too much vino at the neighbours birthday celebration barbeque

Hi Bryan
to defend RAB (not that he needs it!) its still Saturday the 26th here.....
If you did the AS this afternoon - and it sounds as if you did it right - its too early to worry, I think, the bees are settling down and fanning to draw in any lost bees :)
You have the old queen with all the flying bees; on the original hive location, with undrawn foundation, stores above and some brood to keep them all there.
The only thing I'd do differently (was doing the same this afternoon!) would be to avoid feeding unless we get enough rain to make them use up all the stores.

Appologies to all !! Just taken some glucose to up my sugar levels(Im diabetic)

Sincerly apologetic!!!!!
Should have posted SUNDAY 20th MAY

That certainly makes puts responses into an entirely different ball game. Probably few were appropriate.

'Sarky' or not, it seems my post was about the only relevant one?

I don't do bull sh*t. I try to get the facts clearly sorted before making a reasoned assessment.

RAB

I have seen this blocking of the entrance and would say they are trying to maintain the temperature in the hive not for the brood as I suspect that will be no problem for the bees but for a big push on drawing and wax production.

Sounds like you did ok Bryan apart from the syrup they had no need for that as they had the super of honey but then the water in the syrup would have helped.

Typos we are all guilty of them at times

Latest posts

Back