Demaree - what did I do wrong?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a demaree, as the brood hatches in the top BB dont the bees tend to either fill with honey or move honey up from the supers.

Yes if they have run out of room below. If they start doing that there should be a super/s on top.

Yes, at the top or backfilled combs moved down will just be cleared and the honey deposited in the upper combs again. Remember, the top supers do not need to be above an excluder, Demarree is a good way to sort out brood and a half.

Steve-'Remember, the top supers do not need to be above an excluder'...
But if there are QC's and I keep one to develop a new Q, presumably I would need a QE above the top BB? Then using 3 QE's!

Just a word to the wise on Demaree upper SQCs. I missed one and the next thing you know I have a VQ in my queen clip. No problems so far: off to an Apidea or wherever.

Until the end of the inspection and an empty clip.

I knew where to find her: the bottom brood box. She was not far from the entrance. Grabbed her again and hoped like hell. To no avail. EQCs everywhere a few days later.

The moral of the story to me: TTLTB for the love of Mike upgrade that damn clip: that is the second year in a row it has cost me a great Q.

More usefully, do be careful about QCs up top. Can be a boon or a curse.

Latest posts

Back